View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Honestly my thought is that a lot of this reputation of Taylor = bright actually comes from people who try:

GS Mini
Academy series
100 series
200 series
300 series

In general my feeling has always been as you go up the line with Taylors they get less bright/brash and have a more rounded/refined top end to their sound.

That said I think the Taylors 400 series and up all have different approaches to the bass end of things too. Sometimes the 800 and 900 series have seemed too refined to me.. maybe people think they are bright more cause the bass is too refined and reined in.
I agree, but I’ll admit I’m biased. I love my Taylors. I haven’t found a Martin that feels as nice as far as playability. That’s not to argue they don’t exist. I just haven’t played one.

As far as tone, I do think that my heavy Dunlop Gator picks have a big impact. They have a softer feel and are 2.0mm so that fattens things up.

My Tasmanian Blackwood 426ce has a wonderful tone that I get complements on often. Both my 816ce and my 814ce have a beautiful full tone. Of my 4 Taylors, the one with my least favorite unplugged tone is my 616ce. It’s a gorgeous tuxedo black finish and I use it a lot for my live performances as I can get a nice plugged in tone out of it.

Lighter strings can make it a bit thinner sounding. I tried 11s and did not like the tone at all.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page