View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The decision to do clean installs of everything made my switch a lot more difficult than I anticipated for two reasons:
1. I have a lot more software than I had back in 2017 which was the last time I did this.
2. I'm trying to avoid installing the non-Silicon compliant stuff until it becomes compliant.

The end result is I've spent many hours in front of this computer just working on setting up. On top of that, phasing out my PC added even more work because there was so much from that computer to sort through and organize. I'm still working on that stuff but I'm taking my time with it because I worry about making a critical mistake by rushing (in the past I accidentally deleted a ton of photographs I had taken).

I still need to buy a new backup drive. My old one is an 8gb drive but right now I have 4tb internal, a 4tb external, and an enclosure with 5tb worth of ssd drives ...so, 13tb of storage. My old one was a Seagate and it never gave me a problem so I'll likely go with a Seagate again. The Seagate Expansion 16TB External Hard Drive HDD looks a good choice.

I think I'm also going to need to buy a new printer/scanner as well. I'm using a Pantum laser printer. I have it networked and can use the printer but the scanner software hasn't been updated for Ventura (or any recent OS) so I can't get the scanner to work.

I'm looking forward to some day in the future when I can declare "I'm done."
I'm almost finished with converting all but my internal drive to Samsung T7 Shields. You can't touch 16TB of T7s for what the Seagate you mentioned would cost, they are just more expensive, but after talking to the guys at Spitfire Audio and upon their recommendation, I picked up a couple for my Albion libraries. The first two I used were dead silent (obviously) and ran cool, in fact, cool enough to stack, are minuscule, and more than anything, jaw-droppingly fast. That, of course, is not to mention they're SolidState Drives.

Since then, I've converted my main audio drives, softsynth libraries, photo storage, and photo editing to T7s. Unfortunately, to date, the largest T7 is only 4 TB, so I've got a fair amount of drives stacked, and as I said, it won't be as cost-effective as the Seagate you mentioned, but I am personally done with spinning drives, so this solution fits my workflow well.

It's a different path, but I want to mention it nonetheless. Food for thought, as it were