View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 11:19 PM

No pics but here's what I've been up to this week:

- living like a bachelor while my wife is in Spain. The house is a mess and she comes home tomorrow.

- I've sharpened my chisels and tapered the non load bearing braces on the top just short of the kerfing

- I've sanded the kerfed lining on the upper bout region of the top to be flat with a slight angle to avoid the 14th fret hump.

- I've notched the kerferd lining on the top for the X brace and number 1 brace inlets.

- I've glued on the maple bridge plate and the small popsicle stick braces that surround the sound hole. Next step for the top is to voice it by scalloping the tone bars and the lower arms of the X brace.

- Next for the sides is to inlay a flamed maple end edge with fine BWB purfling.

- I have three and a half lengths flamed maple binding with matching BWB purfling already glued to it. I need to order another binding strip to match. Once it's in I'm going to tape them all together and attempt to bend them all in my Fox bender. Previously I'd use a hot pipe but I've cracked them in the past and feel more confident with the fox bender; I've successfully bent zebrawood and oak which are not particularly oily woods.

- Once I have the end wedge in I'll refine the notches in the back side of the sides assembly and glue that plate in first. The following day (after I've voiced the top) I'll do the sound board.

With luck I'll have the box closed by next week. Then I can build up the courage for the binding.