View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 01:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, first off, that top is seriously amazing!

Second, thanks for that description of Sapele. That’s quite informative, as it so often is simply lumped in as a mahogany substitute. I have heard it’s hard to work with due to the dust...is that simply the case for folks with allergies, or does any extra care have to be taken on your end to work with Sapele?
You’re welcome Treenewt, I didn’t take any extra precautions working with Sapele. It has a pleasant sweet smell and I did not find it irritating in any way.
That’s me. I haven’t read that it is particularly bad but, if I were sensitive to it you’d being hearing a different story. This is coming from a guy who finds African Mahogany particularly irritating and I have never heard the same complaint from another woodworker. It is hard to know which woods, if any you will react to so it’s important to pay attention and always exercise basic precautions when working with woods (dust mask, and dust filters). I worry mostly about respiratory symptoms. For skin issues my only real precaution has been to be sure to shower right after working in the shop, not before.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright