View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Internal mics can sound pretty good - I heard Tommy Emmanuel demonstrate his sound system at a workshop some time back, and he started with 100% mic, and it sounded really good. Then he added the pickup to just add a bit more solidness and punch. I was suprised by how much mic he used and how good it sounded. But usually the mic just adds some air to another pickup, tho that can be very effective. There are different mics, some better than others, and some EQ helps, as well as experimenting with the mic placement. I generally use a mic added to any pickup I install.

However, I agree with Larry that ToneDexter somewhat changes the game. I find myself mostly happy without a mic when using ToneDexter and a good pickup.

However, in the right situation, an external mic is pretty much impossible to beat. In the wrong situation, it's worthless, tho... I'd go with a good condenser rather than an SM57, for an external mic, however. KM184s work great live for solo guitar with a quiet room and a good PA.

Last edited by Doug Young; 05-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.