View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 AM

Sounds like you are doing great for someone who has less than a year under his belt! Something that you can do to make the most of your practice time: isolate the problem spots and practice them over and over, instead of going through the whole song every time. Forgive me if you're smarter than I am and have already figured this out, but it's a pretty common mistake. In most songs, it's certain spots that really give us trouble, maybe a certain chord change or tricky right hand fingering. Work on that, by itself, over and over. When it gets smooth add the preceding measure, then the following measure, you get the idea. As a beginner, you're likely encountering some troublesome chord changes that appear in several songs, so when you master these, it's going to pay off in all those songs. Pay close attention to your left hand fingering and find the easiest way to move from each chord to the next, then make sure you're doing it the same way each time. This kind of focused practice can feel tedious, but it will pay big dividends. For right hand practice, it's sometimes helpful to mute the strings with your left hand and just work on rhythm, for a strumming song. For fingerstyle, work on one chord and get it smooth before you transition to the next one. Hope this helps. Sure has worked for me.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut