View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 09:40 AM

It does not sound like you are looking for the jazz comping archtop tone but for more of a Mother Maybelle sort of sound with the ability to add in some grit through an amp perhaps? Given that, there are robably a handful of current models that would suit just fine. The Godin Fifth Avenue is one. You could add in a pickup of some sort or get the Kingpin version with the p90. I don’t care for the bulky mount of their p90 but that is just aesthetic. There is also the Gretsch 9555. Very vintage look, decent sound and I think it could work nicely for your intended need. I had one of the Epiphone Olympic Masterbilt guitars for a while. I really liked it and thought it had a cool midrangey sound that fit Americana style finger picking quite well, I thought. I actually liked the neck.... very chunky for sure. I needed to downsize my guitar inventory so I let that one go. The guy I was working with plugged it into a big tube amp. I could not believe how good that little guitar sounded... big, bold, and jazzy. Had I hung on to that guitar I would have replaced the bridge with a rosewood bridge and experimented with a soundboard pickup from jjb or k and k. Maybe it was just the amp. And certainly the store clerk that I was working with had some serious skill as a player, but it gave me second thoughts about selling it. It never sounded like that through my little THR acoustic amp! Anyway, if you can, play as many as you can find, both new and old.