View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
It is really helpful to have the tuners you plan to use on hand when you are working up your prototype. That way, you can test-fit them and make sure everything is going to work. You have to consider the footprint of your chosen tuners, and the screw holes you will need to drill to hold the tuners in place.
I think the Omega headstock is built to 3/4" thick. That works great for the Gotoh 510 mini tuners. However, that could change, depending on other types/brands of tuners I may use in the future.

Adding front and back veneers to your prefab headstock sounds like a good idea. You are adding to the structural strength, while also customizing it!

By the way, it's okay to ask for trade secrets. One thing you'll find with *most* luthiers is, they tend to be very generous with their Craft Wisdom. Just ask politely, and say thanks. You can get the keys to the kingdom if you're a nice guy!
Thanks again mate, and what you say is certainly true, if you're polite, and give thanks to those who have assisted you, then it helps so much in the long run.
I have a new set of locking tuners coming to me, the cheapies I got from eBay had two of them fully seized, luckily it was only $18 wasted. That's what I get for taking the cheap road. I have a new set due to arrive today, so hopefully they are going to be the same size.
Sounds like my headstock will be right on the money thickness wise. 3/4"= Approx 19mm. I'm at 20mm, so it shouldn't look too much out of whack.
Thanks again!!
I've started a thread here in the Custom section(http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=468162) where I've asked a question about saddle placement, I'll be using that for my build thread.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar