View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
i'm still hoping the video I posted in my previous post is good enough quality that someone can offer me some required direction on the guitars voicing.
I did listen to/watch your video. All I can really say about it is that it sounds "resonant". That's good.

Different people have different approaches to "voicing". There isn't a unified, single approach. Some tune to a specific pitch, others to a certain deflection, others to what response graphs tell them, and so on.

The top changes tone when attached to the sides. The top and side assembly changes when the back is put on.

(As an aside, if building with an outside mold, I glue the back on first, then the top.)

What you can do is to place the assembly down on a table (or your lap) and use your thumbs to flex various parts of the top. The perimeter should be "loose" enough to allow the central portion of the top to move as a unit when the bridge area is pressed with the thumbs. If it isn't sufficiently "loose", you can trim interior bracing and/or thin the top around the perimeter of the lower bout.

Quote:
On a side note, I had decided to build some spool clamps instead of buy them, but when the cost for just 30 bolts is upwards of 120 bucks, that plan is out the window, when i clamp the back on I may now have to just use regular clamps and about a million chunks of wood cut up to be protective cauls
In guitar making, there is no "right" way, only what you can come up with, how much ingenuity you have. For example, instead of bolts, use threaded rod, cut to lengths. That should be much cheaper.

One of the methods I use I learned 30 plus years ago from Grit Laskin. You've put a lot of time into making an outside mold: use it for everything you can. (Such as the clamping cauls to fix your cracked sides.) I'll post some photos of it when I have a chance.