View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

This has been the topic of much discussion and debate particularly since computer performance and storage has become so high.

And interestingly enough there is very little if any "scientific research" on this at all.

So while it is probsbly accurate to say (as Psalad) pointed out
"There is no scientific evidence anyone can reliably pick out a higher sample rate and bit depth audio file from 44.1/16 bit."

It is also probably accurate to say:
There is no scientific evidence that recording at higher sample rates does not make any kind of audible difference.

I do remember several discussions on Gear Slutz, that got very technical and (I do not remember the details but to paraphrase very simplistically) it had to do with plugins functioning better or more efficiently, at higher sample rates.
and as Rick pointed out some converters operating better at higher than 44.1k

Also it should be noted that many if not most engineers who are the ones producing the music that is at the top levels of commercial productions, getting grammies, and recognized as the shakers and movers etc. Are recoding at higher sample rates.

Also I think Rick hit the nail on the head. Today it probably depends much more on the spec's of the particular computer. If it is newer and has the speed and storage to handle 88k or 96 k files there arguably no reason not to

As far as the argument about anything above human hearing range "having no audible effect". I think the jury is still out on that one. I think much more research specifically involving music as opposed to say (for example) single sign wave tests, would have to be done.

From my own anecdotal experience in blind testing (and I know it is not really exactly the same ) But---- I was involved in some testing while taking critical listening classes at Berklee Collage of music . In the single sign wave tests I was unable to detect a signal above 14.7 kHz (I was 63) . However I was consistently able to detect both a boost or cut of 16kHz in pink noise tests and music .

I was dumbfounded and no one had an definite explanation as to why, other than to theorize that perhaps even though I could not audibly hear the signal I was able to detect that it was having an effect on the frequency range I could hear.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.