View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Beautiful wood choices and this is a wonderfully documented build. Great pictures... very thorough. Got to be one of the best documented builds I've seen on here. So often the pictures from the build end up looking like snapshots through the process. I'm often left wondering how the luthier got from one point to another because the intervening steps were left out of the documentation. So please, keep the pictures coming as you get them.

Many thanks! I hope this thread is both informative and enjoyable. IMHO two of Larry's greatest traits as a luthier are his openness and generosity. I can't sing his praises enough in these areas. He will answer any question about his process and he has taken the vast majority of these pictures. Larry da man.

Not only has he built/continues to build nice guitars for me, but he has allowed each build process to be its own personal journey for me. Larry and I have discussed this at some length and it is the same for him from "his side of the workbench". It's very symbiotic.

I'm happy to do my part to pay this forward here on the AGF to the degree this is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick
Wow! Looking forward to seeing this under finish.
Thank you. I'm glad both of you share my esteem of this guitar's aesthetics. Aesthetics beyond basics are secondary to tonal considerations in my book. That this one is turning out to be particularly eye catching is icing on the cake. Again, thank you.

It appears that most of the figure in the curly mahogany neck blank was at the surface, thus ended up as sawdust. There is some left, but not to the degree the blank showed before shaping. We shall see what pops out under finish.

Quote:
One question. No binding on the guitar yet? That seems strange to me. By this stage with the neck so far along and dry fitted to the body and all, most luthiers would have had the binding on the body by now. Perhaps Mr. Nair simply doesn't do it that way prefering to do the binding near the end before finish? So many different ways to achieve the same results. Wonderful to watch.
Larry answers: "Usually I do have the binding on by now. I just got into making the neck and couldn't stop... It's no big deal either way as the shape of the body will not change when the binding goes on. I'm extra careful when flushing the binding to the sides not to change the shape at all, especially at the head block. I might lose 2-3 thousandths in sanding the body after the binding, but that's not significant because the bridge doesn't get placed until binding is on, and the body and neck are final fitted."

I realize I forgot to include a few minor steps in my "to be done list" above: fretting, bridge placement and the neck set.

Good thing I'm not building this guitar.

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do
You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you

Last edited by OddManOut; 02-02-2014 at 08:52 AM.