View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
This is actually sort of a complicated question with a very long answer. I am a college student. Right now, I am an English Literature major; actually, I am taking a semester off, but I am working towards an English lit degree. I would like to work towards a music degree. I play, but my audition for the classical guitar performance track did not go well. I reassessed my musical abilities and my shortcomings with my guitar teacher (unrelated to my college) and we agreed that I would be better fit in the jazz performance and jazz theory wing of the music program. I am taking a semester off to work on my music skills.

I play some jazz now, and I improvise extensively with my band. My teacher and I are working on my rhythm playing and my phrasing. Right now, I play a Martin 000-28VS. I love the guitar, but it isn't quite right for where I want to go.

I am looking for a guitar that I can play in a variety of settings and that will carry me through the next 2-3 years of my education. Like I said, I can play, but I am still very much a student.

Most of the guitar performance majors in the jazz program have $5-$10K guitars. My original question centered around trying to figure out what sort of guitar I should look at so that I can "fit in" when I audition again in Feb. It may not be the most noble of goals, but it is important to me. If I had world class chops, I could show up at my audition with anything and blow like crazy. I am not that good, so I want to try to look the part to put a good image of myself in the minds of the panel. It is the same reason I am going to wear a suit. If I played like Julian Lage, I could wear jeans and a T-shirt. I do not play like Julian Lage.

Thank you for reading; I hope that helps.
I completely understand the "right clothes for the party" need, and while I think you can play jazz on anything, a used Gibson 175 or Heritage 575 will never be frowned on by anybody. It looks and sonds the part, which yes--can be important.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz