View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Default "The Minor Key" Question

Quote:
HOTSPUR WROTE:

The relative minor of A major is F# minor. (The relative minor starts on the sixth scale degree of the major).

The major scale pattern is: whole whole half whole whole whole half, right? Can you use that, starting on A, and see how you get the A major scale?

The minor scale pattern is whole -- half -- whole -- whole -- half -- whole -- whole.

JACK COOPER WROTE:

The key of A minor (natural minor) has no sharps or flats.

So the notes are : A, B, C, D, E, F, G

The chords are : Amin, B diminished (forget about this one just now), C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major.

OK, the question I'm going to ask may sound crazy, but it comes from my severe lack of comprehension, from my utter ever-growing confusion. And my question relates to the information shared above in the quotes from Hotspur and Jack Cooper. Here goes, and please forgive me ... for the nutty question and any clumsy use of terminology in trying to pose the question ...

First, here's my understanding regarding the MAJOR:

The Major Scale "yields" chords, chords that are derived from the notes of the major scale.

So if, say, we take the "Key Of A":

1. The Major Scale Pattern/The Notes are as follows:

whole - whole - half - whole - whole - whole - half

A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#

2. And The Chord Sequence derived from that is as follows:

I = A Major
II = B Minor
III = C# Minor
IV = D Major
V = E Major
VI = F# Minor
VII = G# Dim

After others confirmed that the above information -- that my understanding of The Major -- was correct, I then asked everyone:

What if we're talking about NOT the Key Of A Major/the A Major Scale ... but rather the Key Of A MINOR/the A MINOR Scale?

That is, I asked: What is the MINOR SCALE PATTERN and what is the CHORD SEQUENCE derived from that pattern? And, as you can see in the quote box at the top of this post, Hotspur and Jack Cooper shared (a) the scale pattern (and the actual notes) and (b) the chord sequence derived from it for the RELATIVE/NATURAL. Now after going back and reading Hotspur's and Jack Cooper's replies, something hit me ...

If there are THREE kinds of minor scales -- relative/natural, harmonic and melodic -- then isn't there a different scale pattern for each of these minor scales, and then mustn't there also be a different chord sequence for each of these three minor scales, as well, since the chord sequence derives from the scale?

In other words, to say "a song is in the Key Of A Minor" ... well, which "A Minor" ... considering there are 3 kinds of minor scales?

How's that for being utterly confused now?