Thread: Baggs Lyric
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default You're Right, JLS

Aloha JLS,

"Maybe it's because they build to a price point, rather than trying to produce the very best, unaffordable-to-all-but-corksniffers, transducer systems possible?
"

You're right about that, JLS. Baggs DOES consistently build to a price point - THE ENTRY-LEVEL PRICE POINT - the same one that all their products to date have been built to.

The question is, when will Baggs build a product for pro giggers? Could the Lyric be the one? Maybe.

I've been waiting & trying out all there stuff for over 30 years now, ever since the LB-6 first came out. But they haven't moved off the entry-level pricepoint yet, IMO. And that's why I use & encourage others to investigate more useable, (yes, more natural sounding) & flexible products, ones that are not entry-level & whose propriatary-ness is a bit more concealed. Something that can work well with other products from other companies in a live signal chain of my choice - not theirs.

I mean, how you gonna combine the Lyric with an SBT when they both are required to be placed along the same saddle-line on a bridge-plate?

RE: Differences between the 4061 & the Lyric samples & sound quality.
Doug doesn't like to provide EQ to his samples (outside his comparison site) - HE JUST DID ABOVE - GREAT DOUG! . So I took the samples & put 'em into Logic & played with the EQ there on both samples. I could get much more open-sounding results with the 4061 sample. It responded & behaved like the good mic it is - taking EQ easily, as expected.

However, I've had trouble playing around with EQ'ing the Lyric sample, because it is so doggone compressed sounding (especially on the B string ) in the first place. The Lyric doesn't behave like a regular mic when applying EQ, because Lloyd has already done lots of EQ'ing in advance, hyping the mid's.

So when you compare those samples, take it into the real world of EQ'ing the source to fit the room. The 4061 works easily, the Lyric not as well, IME. Try it.

I am NOT saying the Lyric is bad at all. I think it sounds pretty good & could be the answer for those non-"corkscrew-sniffing?", one-pickup-using players out there, JLS. In fairness, we'll all just have to wait to hear the Lyric with our own ears live, right?

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 01-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.