View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 AM

I didn't mean for my original thread to turn into a free for all but that seems to be the way things go these days just like with politics.

I do however appreciate your hard work on your website Chuck and some of the great lines you posted. I'm actually glad to see that someone will defend the style for what it is and also that someone will defend it for what they think it is. I understand that it is an ancient style steeped in traditions that only few fully grasp (and I love listening or imitating those players) and that many around the globe do not fully understand (even those who try and interpret it or combine it with their way of playing.) They know there is something great about it; they know it is different but they probably do not fully understand it as most of the great Flamenco artists previously mentioned probably grew up in Spain or perhaps in surrounding parts of Europe where Flamenco was an integral part of their childhood and musical study. Just as there are many great blues players like Eric Clapton who did not grow up in the same world or environment as the original blues players such as Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters.

So I also can also appreciate to a degree those who try to incorporate it into their playing style be it rock, country, jazz or any other style. I do think music is out there to be interpreted by others for example (just one small example) if the only version of Mister Sandman the original by the Cordettes, I would not pay it much attention but the first time I heard Les Paul or Chet Atkins play their instrumental versions; I wanted to sit down and master it once and for all. So I guess what I am saying is I can appreciate both sides, if I couldn't I would probably never attempt to learn Flamenco.

Thanks for all the feedback it was interesting and I will be checking out your web site again for sure.