View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Due to back problems when playing (especially the tailbone), it was recommended on Delcamp that I try a strap on my classical & flamenco guitars. I did, my back problems are resolved, and I can play many more hours per week in comfort.

I tried several variations... the hook type, tied types, if you search classical forums for "strap" you will see lots of variations. I have found that (blasphemy!) buttons and a standard strap are the easiest and most stable arrangement... stability is very important in playing intricate fingerstyle arrangements (unless your name is Tommy Emanuel).

So, for what it's worth: (1) Make sure you install a felt pad between your buttons and the guitar... better yet, have a luthier do it professionally. (2) Find a very soft leather strap, no synthetics as they will scratch your guitar finish (3) I have tried all widths... 2" across the neck & shoulder, 1" at each end works best for me <the 1" is easier to work around at the heel block button>

Some people will not buy a classical guitar that has buttons... I think this mentality will change over time, for many uses a strap is a superior solution, and to be able to sit, stand, move around allows much more artistic expression than the fixed classical position. More and more players are using straps. Regardless, it is likely buttons will make it more difficult to get your price when you go to sell.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!