View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
This is exactly the sort of situation where I think my rosewood/cedar CJ really shines, and for this sort of thing I don't think I've ever played another guitar that was quite like this Goodall.

Single notes and simple two note harmonies sound so absolutely amazing on this guitar that I find myself arranging things differently than in the past. My tendency was always to fill in space with lots of notes (I played 5-string banjo for many years, so this comes naturally to me), but now I tend to come up with simpler but much more elegant sounding arrangements that make the most of the Goodall's lovely tone and amazing sustain. Interestingly, this has spilled over into my music on my other guitars as well - these sorts of arrangements also tend to sound really lovely (in a different way) on my classical guitar, and I'm a bit different in how I approach music on my Martin now as well.

Interestingly, my Martin is now tending to get me to develop more as a flatpicker rather than only playing fingerstyle, and this spills over to my playing on the Goodall.

It is interesting how each instrument's unique capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses shapes and influences the sort of musician you become.
Well said.