View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
It means that the comparison between the SoloAmp and the BagAmp will be apples and oranges, since the SA was designed specifically with the acoustic guitarist in mind (and has the appropriate included features).

Performers emphasizing vocals will probably gravitate to the BagAmp, especially if guitar work is secondary. I think Jack's post clarifies a lot in this thread on this forum and should be appreciated here; I don't know if that distinction is made in the marketing and advertising (and I think it probably should, to save everyone a lot of time and effort in making an initial decision).....
I believe that these are incorrect assumptions. It is appropriate to compare these products directly, IMO.

What I gathered from Jack's post is that the effects/reverb were chosen for vocals/singing, not that the BagAmp itself was designed around singers:

Jack wrote:
"...we chose a PA/vocal reverb effect, under the presumption that professional guitar players would not likely be pleased by any single voice effect we might implement, and would rather to use their personally configured outboard effects device for this purpose. Vocalists, on the other hand, rarely use an outboard effects device, and typically rely on the built-in reverb in a PA set. So, again, we implemented a vocal reverb."

From my hands-on experiences with the BagAmp and the SoloAmp, I would say that Jack hit the nail on the head...that is, many of us guitar-dweebs prefer our own effects and/or front-end gear. Any attempt to give more features to try to please a wider audience means greater user-costs spent on features that still might not be useful for folks with their own front-end gear.

One of the interesting things (IMO) that has not been discussed much is that with optimal use/placement, the performer is never within arm's reach of the amp, be it Bose, BagAmp, or SoloAmp. This then requires some kind of pedal or front-end gear for even the simplest thing, such as muting to tune, not to mention changing EQ settings, changing effects, plugging in different instruments with different setting, etc.. This kind of requirement (for me) means that whatever amp/PA I am plugging into, I need my front-end gear. The more features packed into the amp itself, 5-8 feet away from where I am sitting/playing, the more money is being spent on features that I *can't* easily use...or will never use!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 01-04-2010 at 11:43 AM.