View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post
Well, Jack, you posted so you're fair game.

I'm actually one who will use my own outboard equipment, so I appreciate the lower price. Still, once you decided to include the 'verb & EQ, couldn't they have been more "usable" without raising the per unit price by much? It's hard for me to understand the same complaints from so many users when multiple manufacturers can add multiple choices of (usable) reverb and multiple channels of (usable) EQ on their low-cost mixers for $100.

Inquiring minds want to know.

geokie8
I've avoided the reverb issue until now, but have been drawn in and will make a one-time statement.

We use the same reverb chip used in the higher end Fender Passport models and several other extremely reputable, name-brand PA sets. It is a single 'voice' analog effect that, again, has many years of use and many tens of thousands of products in the field. Since the BagAmp is a general puspose PA, not a single purpose acoustic guitar amplifier, we chose a PA/vocal reverb effect, under the presumption that professional guitar players would not likely be pleased by any single voice effect we might implement, and would rather to use their personally configured outboard effects device for this purpose. Vocalists, on the other hand, rarely use an outboard effects device, and typically rely on the built-in reverb in a PA set. So, again, we implemented a vocal reverb.

Quite truthfully, in all of the prerelease usage by a quite large and diverse range of professional musicians here in Nashville, there were no complaints from singers about the reverb.

We are not ignoring the slice of early BagAmp users who are guitarists-only, and who are apparently not pleased by the reverb. We are evaluating several alternate approaches for future product iterations. But, our core priority for the built-in reverb for it to be a great general purpose vocal reverb stands. And, changes we make must hold to that value, first.

Again, despite creating heavy discussion in the online acoustic guitar community, the BagAmp and its sibling products comprise a modern, lightweight portable PA system, one that is scalable and modular across an extremely wide range of specific usages. But, mostly the system is intended -- and was engineered -- to be a great vocal PA, with the built-in reverb and EQ functions specifically tailored for vocals. That's why we adopted the most widely used vocal reverb chip in the industry; because it has such widespread acceptance... with singers.