View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Opinions of the Martin DR?

I played one a few months ago while visiting with a Martin HD-35 that I was smitten by and was pleased by this modest guitar's tone. It was definitely a Martin with a tone that compared that of its big brothers, but at a fraction of the price.

I know, there are cheaper alternatives out there that may in fact be better in many ways for even less, but lately the thought of that DR has been on my mind. I can't afford that HD-35 and as nice as all those Yamahas, Takamines, Taylors, Breedloves, etc. are, they just don't have that tone.

I also find that durability plays a bigger part than I'd anticipated. I like to keep a guitar on-hand for when inspiration hits but I'm also raising two small and highly energetic boys who show no mercy. My poor Takamine has gone from being a college beater (back in the day) to a living room beater that laughs in the face of the concept of "kid's gloves!" It's taken the "el kabong" many times by the actions of those little hands - who BTW do not tolerate gloves. Ironic, isn't it?

BTW, you might wonder why I wouldn't consider the X series. Well, they don't sound like wooden guitars to me. There's something artificial about the aftertones that I can't put my finger on. OTOH even laminated rosewood has that shimmer - as exhibited by my long-term experience with my all-laminate Takamine with rosewood back & sides and even a couple of run-ins with a newer Taylor 214.

So what are your opinions of this guitar? Is it a workhorse guitar on a budget or is it becoming obsolete in light of the X series and new 1 series? Is it outclassed by its similarly-construction overseas competition? Are there any other options out there that provide a Martin-like tone on a budget?