The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Comparison: LR Baggs Anthem in 2 Different Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683844)

AeroUSA 03-28-2024 10:40 AM

Comparison: LR Baggs Anthem in 2 Different Guitars

Hi everyone,

I am working on a guitar review and thought I would record it direct vs another guitar with the Anthem to see how much the guitar influences the sound of this particular pickup system.

Please let me know your thoughts of the two sounds in the video. I will post the reveal in a couple days time and look forward to discussing the results.

jricc 03-28-2024 12:13 PM

Double post

jricc 03-28-2024 12:15 PM

My preference is Guitar A, warm and round with nice presence.
IMO better for solo performers.

For someone in a band, Guitar B might cut through the mix a little better.

Petty1818 03-28-2024 02:47 PM

I am not surprised they sound different. You might hear less variation with a K&K as it has a signature sound but there’s a mic in the Anthem so it should be showcasing each guitar well. I prefer A though. B sounds like what I have experienced with the Anthem in my Taylor. Just seems thin and string heavy. It’s like it’s missing the warmth and body.

SpruceTop 03-28-2024 02:59 PM

Guitar A, for sure Aaron. Guitar A was clearer with less boom and just sounded better than Guitar B.

martingitdave 03-28-2024 03:33 PM

More low mids in the sound of guitar A. Both sound natural to me. I prefer guitar A in that example.

Rumblefish 03-28-2024 04:08 PM

A is a clear winner there. My problem with most acoustic guitar demos is that they are played very lightly. I play with a strong, right hand, and the results are usually very different than if you play with a light touch. I really wish you guitar demo guys would lean into it and play with a little enthusiasm and energy sometimes. No offense to the high quality videos you produce. They are probably a better representation for the majority of players.

SpruceTop 03-28-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblefish (Post 7435132)
A is a clear winner there. My problem with most acoustic guitar demos is that they are played very lightly. I play with a strong, right hand, and the results are usually very different than if you play with a light touch. I really wish you guitar demo guys would lean into it and play with a little enthusiasm and energy sometimes. No offense to the high quality videos you produce. They are probably a better representation for the majority of players.

Rumblefish: +1, Bro! I have many demos using many guitars including different pickup and preamp systems. I tend to play aggressively, with a flat pick or when fingerpicking, and players can find them using my "SpruceTop" moniker.

AeroUSA 03-28-2024 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblefish (Post 7435132)

I’m making an effort to play a little lighter lately. I felt I was too heavy handed. I’m still using a 1mm pick.

SalFromChatham 03-28-2024 06:08 PM

I prefer A. B comes out a little compressed and nasal-like…

Rumblefish 03-28-2024 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroUSA (Post 7435163)
I’m making an effort to play a little lighter lately. I felt I was too heavy handed. I’m still using a 1mm pick.

Thanks for your reply. Doing demos can be tough because everyone has different ideals. I’ve enjoyed your videos for a while and appreciate your approach. A couple of hard strums to see what kind of headroom a pickup has would be welcome.

AeroUSA 03-28-2024 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblefish (Post 7435216)
Thanks for your reply. Doing demos can be tough because everyone has different ideals. I’ve enjoyed your videos for a while and appreciate your approach. A couple of hard strums to see what kind of headroom a pickup has would be welcome.

Fair enough but this clip is just an apples to apples comparison. I tried to play them both the same.

Mbroady 03-28-2024 07:45 PM

I think they both sound good. Yes, one is a bit warmer while one highlights some more top end (and perhaps a bit thinner on the low end). Was the blend set the same on both.

That’s the advantage of the Anthem. A little tweak can have a huge Impact of the EQ curve.
And it takes to external eq well.

Thanks for (all) the cool demo(s)

AeroUSA 03-28-2024 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbroady (Post 7435240)
I think they both sound good. Yes, one is a bit warmer while one highlights some more top end (and perhaps a bit thinner on the low end). Was the blend set the same on both.

That’s the advantage of the Anthem. A little tweak can have a huge Impact of the EQ curve.
And it takes to external eq well.

Thanks for (all) the cool demo(s)

Yes both 100% mic blend. I’ll reveal the guitars tomorrow.

Mbroady 03-28-2024 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroUSA (Post 7435257)
Yes both 100% mic blend. I’ll reveal the guitars tomorrow.

Be interesting and informative to hear a before and after with both guitars in regards to setting the blend to your liking.