The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sharing Your Music (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682946)

Mr. Jelly 03-09-2024 07:24 AM

Sharing Your Music

I apologize for this question because this thought is something that is alien to me. Seriously, call it a short coming, ignorance or moral and ethical phycological insecurity failure.

Do we have a responsibility or obligation to share what we do as musicians?

mike o 03-09-2024 07:33 AM

This is deep yo! :) We perform regularly. Never considered this a responsibility or obligation. We do feel we have a gift to share and enjoy doing so. We also believe when we do perform, their is a shared positive experience between the performers and audience. No different than anyone attending a sports event, play, concert, etc.

Pickcity 03-09-2024 07:39 AM

Is the music ours, or is it not ours? The question requires some pondering on my part. My personal belief is we should share it with the world, no matter the audience size. That’s just how I feel about it.

Only you can ultimately decide if the music is yours or not. Yes, you/we create it and have publishing rights to it, but what I mean is do we have an obligation to share it so others can enjoy it.

I enjoy playing alone, but I always do so with the intent of sharing it with others. Music is art. It is one of life’s pleasures. People need it, musicians and non musicians alike. If one person gets joy from it, or if it evokes an emotion, any emotion, then I have done my part. That’s why I do this.

random works 03-09-2024 07:41 AM

sharing

I will share food with someone, jokes, tools, etc. because I think they will appreciate these things. the music I make? ...there is so much out there that is better and very accessible I wonder why. Of course I like someone to make a positive remark now and then.

But, I do listen to the guitar players on AGF who take the time to record, save and post their tunes, and honestly we have many fantastic players, and everyone has a story.

For those just starting and posting, I see and hear my own first steps.

I think sharing is something that brings us together in a small way and encourages us in many ways.

Bluenose 03-09-2024 07:50 AM

If you're really talented and gifted then I suppose you should share what you were given but if you're just an average hack who cares?

Jaxon 03-09-2024 08:02 AM

Playing and sharing music listened to with players and like minded people is an immeasurable feeling of joy. I've ran across no one in my area that remotely has the same taste in music as I so I'm down to just myself and pups now.

EDIT: I've tried sharing artist/tunes with the few friends I have left and get the same responses if a response at all..."sorry but I or we hate jazz or ballads or swing or that old corny sad country crap"

Remember at a younger age just listening to a tune with a musician friend and a great riff was played and both would hear and feel it instantly and now a great tune or riff just goes in one ear and out the other if any ear at all with others. It's a sad day in musical appreciation with anyone for me.

KevWind 03-09-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly (Post 7424091)
I apologize for this question because this thought is something that is alien to me. Seriously, call it a shot coming, ignorance or moral and ethical phycological insecurity failure.

Absolutely Not ----- Now I personally do like to share it . BUT just like any art ,the decision to share or not is personal and has no inherent "obligation"

RP 03-09-2024 08:11 AM

Quote:

...Do we have a responsibility or obligation to share what we do as musicians?

I'm basically an introvert so my answer to this question is a resounding "No," and many audiences are tacitly thanking me for this choice...

Bob from Brooklyn 03-09-2024 08:34 AM

This is just me but I feel a sort of moral responsibility to share whatever 'talents' I may have been gifted with. :)

Railroad Bum 03-09-2024 08:37 AM

I stopped playing in public years ago, and I played by myself at home for a long time. More recently my son has become a musician, and that inspired me to make some videos of me playing and singing, mostly for him. I don't think I have much talent as a musician, but it's fun, and there's a connection through music between my son and me.

Fundamentally, I think music is a very personal thing emotionally, and nobody is obligated to share it with anyone else unless they are moved to do so.

J Patrick 03-09-2024 08:54 AM

I guess that’s up to the individual. My personal opinion is that music is free of responsibility, obligation, duty, or any other type of commitment.

Still, I believe that sharing music is a good way to serve humanity when offered up with heart, humility and good intent…and sometimes a swell way to make a buck.

mr. beaumont 03-09-2024 08:55 AM

No, but putting music into the world makes it a better place.

RP 03-09-2024 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 7424151)
No, but putting music into the world makes it a better place.

That's true, but just not music that I perform...

Rudy4 03-09-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

I apologize for this question because this thought is something that is alien to me. Seriously, call it a shot coming, ignorance or moral and ethical phycological insecurity failure.

No more than having a "responsibility or obligation" to open a restaurant if we enjoy cooking.

Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do in any way you please.

islandguitar 03-09-2024 09:42 AM

Interesting topic and responses!!

I don't feel that "responsibility", but will say that I enjoy sharing my music. Years ago, my wife, who totally supports my efforts, began asking me what I was going to "DO" with all this. Her support ( multiple guitars/gear, etc.) would have been there no matter what, but her influences pushed me to enlarge my "path", record, and every so often play out at a function that fits.

To my great pleasure, I've found that a selection of friends, family and strangers (Soundcloud,etc.) can be touched emotionally by what I produce (not always! LOL!) and this brings me, and to a certain extent them, some joy or peace or pleasure in that moment or day. And, they kindly let me know this!
. For those close friends who enjoy my music, I will always try to keep in touch with news and updates and "checking in", but include a recent tune I've been working on. Keeps the connection which is quite valuable to me.

So it's a personal choice to share.......a nice benefit.......no obligation!