The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin 000-17SM Advice (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492087)

Lawn Jockey 12-07-2017 10:50 AM

Martin 000-17SM Advice
 
Attempting to get some input of the Martin 000-17SM. I realize that they were discontinued a couple of years ago. I would have no chance of finding one locally, but purchasing online does not bother me one bit.

Iíd like to hear about your experiences with this particular guitar.

Thanks yíall.

Swamp Yankee 12-07-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey (Post 5560856)
Attempting to get some input of the Martin 000-17SM. I realize that they were discontinued a couple of years ago. I would have no chance of finding one locally, but purchasing online does not bother me one bit.

I’d like to hear about your experiences with this particular guitar.

Thanks y’all.

I love the one I have. It's got decent bass, great midrange and sweet trebles in a nice, dry tone. It plays easily and is a very comfortable guitar. It is lightly built so I'm not sure about the long haul... but it's a very sweet and responsive guitar, IMO.
I *think* mine might have been made with Spanish cedar, which, as I understand, Martin has used as "mahogany" at times. Whatever, it is such an aromatic guitar that playing it surrounds me in a cloud of cigar box fragrance that I really love.

Lawn Jockey 12-07-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee (Post 5560886)
I love the one I have. It's got decent bass, great midrange and sweet trebles in a nice, dry tone. It plays easily and is a very comfortable guitar. It is lightly built so I'm not sure about the long haul... but it's a very sweet and responsive guitar, IMO.
I *think* mine might have been made with Spanish cedar, which, as I understand, Martin has used as "mahogany" at times. Whatever, it is such an aromatic guitar that playing it surrounds me in a cloud of cigar box fragrance that I really love.

May I send you a PM?

Athens 12-07-2017 12:40 PM

000-17SM
 
You might also was to look at a Taylor 322.

BradleyS 12-07-2017 12:42 PM

I owned one, during my buying, selling, and trading frenzy,when on a quest for "The" right one. Although I lack the ability to eloquently describe its virtues, I found it to be a very sweet guitar.

smurph1 12-07-2017 01:06 PM

I had one also. Nice Git!! Great action, with really good bass response for a smaller guitar. I highly recommend one if you can get it.

Swamp Yankee 12-07-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey (Post 5560924)
May I send you a PM?

Of course you can! :up:

PiousDevil 12-07-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee (Post 5560886)
I love the one I have. It's got decent bass, great midrange and sweet trebles in a nice, dry tone. It plays easily and is a very comfortable guitar. It is lightly built so I'm not sure about the long haul... but it's a very sweet and responsive guitar, IMO.
I *think* mine might have been made with Spanish cedar, which, as I understand, Martin has used as "mahogany" at times. Whatever, it is such an aromatic guitar that playing it surrounds me in a cloud of cigar box fragrance that I really love.

Itís the neck and perfling that are spanish cedar, and it does smell incredible.

I donít have the 000-17sm, but itís mahogany topped cousin the 000-15sm, and I couldnít be happier with it. Great neck, light and responsive, wonderful ringing tone. The body shape is great, and the slotted head is beautiful.

Lawn Jockey 12-07-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athens (Post 5560991)
You might also was to look at a Taylor 322.

The Martin 000-17SM is a spruce top over mahogany.

Isnít the Taylor 322 a hog top?

DukeX 12-07-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey (Post 5561161)
The Martin 000-17SM is a spruce top over mahogany.

Isnít the Taylor 322 a hog top?

Yes, and it is a completely different style of guitar than a 000-SM.

Swamp Yankee 12-07-2017 04:17 PM

I don't really see the 322 as a similar guitar either.

Hasbro 12-07-2017 04:24 PM

How is the model being discussed different than the current triple 000-17?

PiousDevil 12-07-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro (Post 5561232)
How is the model being discussed different than the current triple 000-17?

12 fret, slotted headstock

Swamp Yankee 12-07-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro (Post 5561232)
How is the model being discussed different than the current triple 000-17?

The current 000-17 is a 14 fret with a paddle headstock in whiskey sunset or black smoke satin finishes.

The SM is a 12 fret with slotted headstock in ambertone shaded edge burst gloss top, satin sides and back.

Lawn Jockey 12-07-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee (Post 5561239)
The current 000-17 is a 14 fret with a paddle headstock in whiskey sunset or black smoke satin finishes.

The SM is a 12 fret with slotted headstock in ambertone shaded edge burst gloss top, satin sides and back.

I did it Swamp Yankee. :up:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=