The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Buffalo Gals - ragtime (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281642)

Mr Fixit eh 01-28-2013 03:29 PM

Buffalo Gals - ragtime

I'm going to dedicate this little number to Bob, who brought this tune back to my memory in one of his comments during my SOTW project. I worked it up with a bit of a ragtime feel, and I think it's quite fun - well it was fun to play, anyways. I have no idea what the picking pattern is called, but I think it suits the song.

I'm eager for any suggestions on how to improve the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORF90WOqliE

Steve

Bern 01-28-2013 03:42 PM

Hmm...I suggest you work on the intro a bit. It seems you're are either nervous or you don't really know the fingering. Perhaps, practice with metronome to work on your timing and loosen up a little. You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords. Also, listen to some ragtime to pick up the bouncy feel.

PlaysGuitar 01-29-2013 07:38 PM

Hi Steve,

I have to say I REALLY liked what you did here. It's not quite like the stuff I see on YT labelled 'Ragtime', but I think it does have that bouncy, saloon feel to it. I think the way you change up the chorus and verse with a different right hand method is excellent. No, it's not perfect, but I think with a little practice with the intro and instrumental portions, this will become stellar.

I thought you did a pretty good job keeping the tempo consistent when you switched between verse and chorus - and I can only imagine how hard that must be, but I'm sure Bern's suggestion about the metronome could only help. I also thought your vocals were pretty clean - 'buffalo gals' can be a little hard to keep on pitch, because you need to hit it hard, kind of out of the blue.

Mr Fixit eh 01-30-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern (Post 3334429)
Hmm...I suggest you work on the intro a bit. It seems you're are either nervous or you don't really know the fingering. Perhaps, practice with metronome to work on your timing and loosen up a little. You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords. Also, listen to some ragtime to pick up the bouncy feel.

Hi Bern,

I appreciate your suggestions. Yes, I was more nervous with this one - I should have practiced this more. You said,
Quote:

You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords.
. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Steve

Mr Fixit eh 01-31-2013 11:55 AM

Hi Bern,

Tried to send you a PM, but it says your box is full.

You suggested
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern
The melody is basically embedded in the C chord and G7 chord. You will get a better flow in the intro if you place the C chord and play the melody out of the C chord shape, the same applies for the G7.
For starters, count 1+2+3+4+, when you get to the + after 4, play the G on the E string with your ring finger. Then the C on the A string (ring finger again) which would be your 1 on the next measure. Meanwhile, hold the C shape as long as you can, only move the fingers you will need to play the melody.
Practice the intro over and over again, and, most importantly, COUNT !
Bernie

Ok, so I'm playing around with this - it sure feels wierd at first!

So you're talking about fingering the chords as if you were strumming the song. So in the chorus, (C) buffalo gals won't you come out tonight (G7) come out tonight (C) come out tonight, etc. Then within that framework move fingers as needed. You're NOT talking about using the C chord framework throughout the entire chorus, are you?

Steve

gibbyguy 01-31-2013 05:52 PM

Nice job on a good 'ol classic. When I hear this it always reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life. That's where I first heard. Thanks for sharing Steve!
Ed

Mr Fixit eh 02-01-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaysGuitar (Post 3336295)
Hi Steve,

I have to say I REALLY liked what you did here. It's not quite like the stuff I see on YT labelled 'Ragtime', but I think it does have that bouncy, saloon feel to it. I think the way you change up the chorus and verse with a different right hand method is excellent. No, it's not perfect, but I think with a little practice with the intro and instrumental portions, this will become stellar.

I thought you did a pretty good job keeping the tempo consistent when you switched between verse and chorus - and I can only imagine how hard that must be, but I'm sure Bern's suggestion about the metronome could only help. I also thought your vocals were pretty clean - 'buffalo gals' can be a little hard to keep on pitch, because you need to hit it hard, kind of out of the blue.

Hi PG,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I just got so carried away with this exciting 'new' style, that I just didn't take the extra few days to polish up the rough spots. It was difficult to do, and just needed more practice.

Steve

Bob1131 02-02-2013 06:57 AM

HA! This is another song from my grade school music classes! I haven't heard this in years, thanks for the memories, Steve. Also, thanks for the back story...very interesting.

Mr Fixit eh 02-02-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibbyguy (Post 3338889)
Nice job on a good 'ol classic. When I hear this it always reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life. That's where I first heard. Thanks for sharing Steve!
Ed

Thanks for listening and commenting, Ed.

Steve

Mr Fixit eh 02-04-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob1131 (Post 3340725)
HA! This is another song from my grade school music classes! I haven't heard this in years, thanks for the memories, Steve. Also, thanks for the back story...very interesting.

Hi Bob, it's still a fun song even after all the years!

Steve