The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD Collings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492619)

moosedog 12-11-2017 08:41 PM

NGD Collings

Found a like new OM2H with the Vintage Now neck on our local craigslist. Have only ever seen one other Collings in this area and that was 20 years ago. That was a D2 and I have never forgotten how great it sounded. I had sold another guitar the night before and had plans on holding out for a good OM (Huss & Dalton, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois were tops on my list). Problem is they are extremely rare around here. We are more of a Taylor and Martin and assorted imports area. I was also considering Avalon as there is a dealer about 1 1/2 hours away (Fretted Buffalo). Anyway, I had a few minutes Sat morning and jumped on craigslist. I almost fell out of my chair when low and behold there was a Collings OM2H listed about 80 miles away. Immediately texted the owner and he called right back. He had listed it only 15 min earlier so I was first in line. Made an aptt for that afternoon and brought it home. It's a late 2015 that he bought new and is in perfect condition. The sound is quite open for a fairly new guitar, it's balanced and loud. The extra string spacing with the Vintage Now neck is great for finger style and is taking a little while to get used to but I like it. The build quality, fit and finish is perfect. The woods are exquisite with lots of silking on the Sitka spruce top and dark, straight grained rosewood. Someday I'll figure out how to post pics on here and I'll share it's beauty with you. Until then, there are plenty of pics on line.

DenverSteve 12-11-2017 09:58 PM

Congratulations. I'm sure that is one fine guitar.

guitar george 12-11-2017 10:10 PM

Congratulations. That's a mighty fine guitar! Would like to get one myself one day. Have fun.

Jack Orion 12-12-2017 01:53 AM

nice one!

I have an OM2 H with the vintage now neck but it's short scale (24.9").

It's taken me a little while to appreciate the Collings tone (which is more 'shimmer-y' than the Martin tone) but, 18 months or so after buying it, it's really starting to come into it's own and provides me with a great alternative to my Martin when I want a bit more cut and shimmer and less thud...

dave42 12-12-2017 05:42 AM

Congratulations! Fine guitar, and the vintage now neck is an added bonus. Enjoy!

BrunoBlack 12-12-2017 06:24 AM

Great guitar. You should be pleased. Congratulations.

Parlorman 12-12-2017 06:57 AM

Great score. Congratulations.

Silly Moustache 12-12-2017 06:59 AM

The Collings OMs seem to be very popular.

I bought my first Collings in 1999. It was a 12 fret dreadnought. I now have five ...six if you count the Waterloo.
Beware - once you got one ....... y'know.

devellis 12-12-2017 07:03 AM

Sometimes the stars just fall into perfect alignment. Collings makes fantastic guitars and their OM's are outstanding. Enjoy!

Yakstone 12-12-2017 07:05 AM

Collings

Right place, right time.
Good for you!

markrj 12-12-2017 02:48 PM

Congratulations!

HOF dad 12-12-2017 03:56 PM

Way awesome Moose!
Collings are certainly on my wish list.
Hope it's everything you're looking for.
enjoy

Dan

boombox 12-12-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5566171)
The Collings OMs seem to be very popular...

Probably because Collings build one of the best(if not THE best) especially rosewood OMs around. I have yet to find a Martin or any other rosewood OM which comes close to an OM2H: best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

To the OP, welcome to the Collings club. Come and join us over on the Collings forum, though I daresay if you do that, Silly M's warning may soon come to bear fruit: one Collings is never enough. :)

moosedog 12-12-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5566811)
Probably because Collings build one of the best(if not THE best) especially rosewood OMs around. I have yet to find a Martin or any other rosewood OM which comes close to an OM2H: best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

To the OP, welcome to the Collings club. Come and join us over on the Collings forum, though I daresay if you do that, Silly M's warning may soon come to bear fruit: one Collings is never enough. :)

Thanks for the offer - I will do that. If it results in another Collings for me I'm ok with that :) I don't hear too much shimmer (of course I'm used to Taylor) and I really like the sound. Full and balanced in a very comfortable package. I did play a Huss & Dalton OM in spruce/hog that was very nice but it was new and $1000 more than this one which is just like new and I prefer rosewood.

SprintBob 12-12-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boombox (Post 5566811)

Love my OM1AH, on the want list is a 12 fret Collings. DS2A, 0001AC possibly short scale, classic 00, hmmmmmm.

Congrats Moose, enjoy that new OM.