The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin 012VS MMV (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266316)

cmds 09-20-2012 03:56 PM

Martin 012VS MMV

Stopped by GC on the way home just peaking around, saw a 0-12VS MMV. WOW. That is a little cannon right there. Super impressive for under $2k.

Anyone else played one of these little bombshells?

nickjwill 09-20-2012 05:12 PM

Yes. I stopped by the Orlando GC today and tried one for a minute or two. I was impressed. Nice chunky neck and real punchy.

JamSessions 10-03-2012 08:57 PM

this guitar is BADASS!! Im searching for it online and found its not anywhere due to being a GC exclusive. here are some pics:
http://postimage.org/image/e7jj90ejp/3d8e887f/
http://postimage.org/image/nkghpk8bb/3c1db61e/
there are only 48 left for sale in GCs around the US. I played this just because it looked funny and it is absolutely incredible. Buying mine tomorrow on credit. its just too good to pass up.

weslacho 10-10-2012 01:40 PM

Was in GC today and tried this one out. Amazing guitar. I'm currently trying to figure out which body size fits me best, 0-xx or 00-xx. This is hard to figure out without many local options for a test drive. I'd like to know some of the other specs for this model but can't find any online. Anyone?

JamSessions, did you end up getting yours?

dirkronk 10-10-2012 01:51 PM

Don't see specs on a quick Google search. I see from the photo that the sides (and back, I guess?) are glossy and dark...so rosewood? A sort of poor man's 0-28vs? If so...and it has the sonic properties of its upscale cousin...that must be a killer little guitar.

Still...there's just something about that plain white binding on the MMV Martins that says "not as rich as it could be." And the headstock shape and logo aren't as refined as the original, either. But...well...a 2-grand discount ain't hay. Hmmm.

Dirk
(who's wondering if San Antonio got one of those little beauties...haven't been to the local GC in weeks)

weslacho 10-10-2012 01:53 PM

I was curious about measurement specs. Wondering what scale, my hands told me it was a 24.9 scale. Also wondering about the nut width.

This is just incase someone else reads this. Even GC doesn't have it on their own website!

edmidlifecrisis 11-12-2012 04:34 PM

I just played a brand shiny new one at the GC in West Palm Beach. Very cool guitar. No specs on the web anywhere I could find. Want to know nut width and scale for sure.

They want just under $1500 for it.

weslacho 11-12-2012 04:43 PM

Yea I just saw it up at my GC for sale too. Just under $1500. I had the tech look at it and it's actually full scale and the nut width is 1 3/4.

They also just now got a 00-21 Custom that is amazing, to my ears anyway. Of course it's just over $5k. It is short scale with a 1 3/4 nut width featuring the newer high performance neck. Didn't know that at the time and aside from the beautiful sound that came out of it, it was the first thing I noticed. Thought I was just being put under a trance and it must have been the typical modified low oval. When I got home I looked it up and sure enough, the neck was special. Nicest neck I have ever held, again, for me. They might have problems with that one because a few of the specs online are incorrect. If they offer to give me a complimentary unit I will gladly tell them the correct specs. It's a shame they can't get that type of thing right. After all, they custom ordered it! Corporate monsters don't care, why should Guitar Center be any different?

wooglins 11-12-2012 06:18 PM

It is braced the same as a d16. The money in my opinion would be better spent on a standard line Martin if e Martin tone is what you are looking for.

GB... 11-12-2012 06:23 PM

I played one at GC a few weeks back...the floor model was a little rough appearence wise, sounded good. The other "in stock" one had a strange sound that did not sound as good to me...

They get really good reviews regarding sound/specs for the money. I decided to pull the trigger on an HD28 instead. They did have $200 off coupons back then, keep looking for the next round of discounts.

Judson 11-12-2012 07:09 PM

I think the MMV's whether Dread, 000 or this new model (which I tried recently) are all great guitars for the money.

On the plus side, you get "28" level materials and bling like solid rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge, gold tuners, etc.

On the minus side, you get mortise & tenon neck and hybrid X bracing.

AZLiberty 11-12-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3240176)

I know this is heresy, but I'm staring to think I like the sound of the Hybrid X bracing over the Standard series bracing.

Hypnos 11-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3240176)

To each his own, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc. If it sounds good it sounds good and if it feels good it feels good. Sometimes I think we get too caught up in specs and what's supposed to be the best and forget to just go with what we like.

wooglins 11-12-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 3240309)
I know this is heresy, but I'm staring to think I like the sound of the Hybrid X bracing over the Standard series bracing.

Then you like a simple X with no side tone bars. Nothing wrong with that of course.

It offers an upper bout that is more open to movement, but many consider the tone less sophisticated.

I would like to hear a guitar with no bracing but the x that is required for structural integrity.

Joe Da Strummer 11-12-2012 11:41 PM

The MMV dread is braced like a 15. Martin would probably tell/send you the specs for this model.

They certainly could use 16 series braces on this model. It's not llike there's a grand MMV tradition to uphold.

Check, tho, just in case. I'd do it myself but my MMV dread is so lackluster that don't even care enough to get excited about a new member of the MMV family.