The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Blackbird Savoy Owners in Florida (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489541)

Acousticado 11-15-2017 12:44 PM

Blackbird Savoy Owners in Florida

In my “Blackbird Savoy” thread, I mentioned in a later post that while I’ll be wintering in the Fort Myers area from early Jan. until late April, I’m hoping that any current or future Florida-based Savoy owners located within a couple of hours drive might be willing to allow me the opportunity to visit to try one out. It would be greatly appreciated. I know it’s a long-shot.

I will be reaching-out to future NGD Savoy owners to ask if they are located in Florida. I will also resurrect this thread from time-to-time.

Thanks!

Earl49 11-16-2017 06:43 PM

Since Blackbird has one Savoy mold and can only build about one guitar per week, this is a long shot. I wish you luck, but there are not very many examples out there yet.

I plan to attend the Reno Ukulele Fest the first weekend of May 2018, and will likely get to test drive the samples at that show (Blackbird usually exhibits there....). Given the recent delivery of my X20-12, I am pretty well set for composite guitars, but that Farallon tenor ukulele in eKoa sure is tempting and might displace my koa ukes. :eek:

Guest 928 11-16-2017 07:11 PM

Oh Earl! You are so going to get blown away. I had a Blackbird Uke and it was a marvelous instrument. I'm not a Uke player, but I get around and the Blackbird Uke is the best in my book. It has a really clean sound, an incredible projection, and great tonal qualities. You are lost...but not forgotten. Be sure and report back.

Earl49 11-17-2017 09:42 AM

Evan, I'm quite familiar with the Farallon uke. One of the folks from my ukulele club has one. He ordered it without the side sound port originally, then sent it back to Joe to have the oval port added after a couple of months. He likes the improvement of the sound to his player position. I'm not sure the sound port was necessary, but never played it much before the conversion.

Last Monday night at out jam, I swapped with him for my Big Island koa ukulele KT-TR, and played his Farallon for 90 minutes. Farallon is among the finest tenor ukulele I have ever played and cut through just fine while leading 20 other players / singers. My primary koa ukulele is: http://bigislandukulele.com/products...html#product03

I know I am "doomed" to eventually get a Farallon. I played one of the first CF ukulele they made at NAMM in 2010 and eventually crossed paths with the buyer and played it again a few years alter. My only hesitation is that I just got my X20-12 last week, and on impulse bought one of the Alvarez ABT-60 baritone guitars during the recent Stupid Deal of the Day sale. Two guitars arriving within a week?? And I bought a Blackbird Lucky 13 last October. I am supposed to be thinning down the "herd", but seem to be accumulating more instruments all the time. Selling the other guitars off seems to be an issue for me -- it just never happens.

Ultimately I am thinking ahead to travel with a Lucky 13, the X20-12, and a Farallon ukulele. All of these composite instruments could safely live in our pop-up A-liner trailer behind the F-150 as we do road trips, once my wife retires in January. With my guitars in the cab, there would still be room for her flutes (standard, alto, and bass flute) in the cab with us. (Flutes are somewhat heat sensitive, since the key pads are adhered by wax).

Guest 928 11-17-2017 10:21 AM

True, it seems as though you are pretty occupied with incoming guitars. But the way to look at is that you lack any incoming ukes. Best get busy..............

Earl49 11-17-2017 10:35 AM

Evan, an incoming Farallon ukulele would put me in a real quandary. I'm up to 14 guitars again, and a Farallon would bring me up to eight ukes. No more closet space remains, and there are too many to keep humidified. I've long ago given up on keeping fresh guitar strings on all of them......... Nylon is much easier. I change ukulele strings roughly every 2-3 years -- whether they need it or not -- and I play ukulele at least three hours every week.

My apologies to Acousticado. We have thoroughly hijacked his "Savoy in Florida" thread.

mot 11-17-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 5539672)
Evan, an incoming Farallon ukulele would put me in a real quandary. I'm up to 14 guitars again, and a Farallon would bring me up to eight ukes. No more closet space remains, and there are too many to keep humidified. I've long ago given up on keeping fresh guitar strings on all of them......... Nylon is much easier. I change ukulele strings roughly every 2-3 years -- whether they need it or not -- and I play ukulele at least three hours every week.

My apologies to Acousticado. We have thoroughly hijacked his "Savoy in Florida" thread.

More Hijacking Tom.

I am currently down to just 4 acoustic guitars, 2 electric guitars and 2 ukes plus a few other strings from cellos to banjos and violins. I let one wood guitar go this fall and plan to sell or give away the two remaining wood guitars at some point and maybe pick up another one or two more of the carbon fiber variety. I think I need a convincing argument if you have any to spare.