The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Visit to Tobias Music, Downer's Grover IL (Chicago area) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139177)

robkreole 11-10-2008 03:48 PM

Visit to Tobias Music, Downer's Grove IL (Chicago area)

Hi everyone, I had a chance to visit a really nice guitar shop and wanted to post a summary. Last week, I was in the Chicago area for a meeting and went to visit Tobias Music in Downer's Grove, IL. I spent about 2 hours there with my wife Jennifer who was really great about being part of the guitar "geek-squad." Anyway, the visit was VERY nice. I was totally impressed with this shop, truly a Mom & Pop kind of place (actually a Pop & Son place on the day of our visit as Ken & Paul Tobias were at the helm). Mostly an acoustic store, they are a first-rate Taylor dealer and also handle Martin, Santa Cruz, Walden and more. They also had a number of Weber mandos on-hands as well. Note: they have a very cool Gretsch Country Gentleman, used...it was calling my name but I resisted.

As we talked and looked at guitar after guitar (including a bunch of nice Taylor electrics and a T-5), the highlight of the visit was when they showed us two R. Taylor guitars from their current inventory. Ooh-la-la friends and neighbors, these guitars were impressive and truly works of art. Tobias is a big-time Taylor dealer, and they have a really good relationship with the company. This is the type of place that I love to "find" - a place where you are very welcomed, where all questions are answered and where the conversation can go on & on about guitars, construction materials, makes and models, guitar lore and more.

So if you are ever in the Chicago area and just itching fora guitar fix, I give Tobias Music "two thumbs up" and encourage you to check it out. For more info., see http://www.tobiasmusic.com/

Downer's Grove is in the "west suburbs" near Hinsdale, Oak Brook and Lisle, IL. Tobias Music was easy to get to, located just about 10 min. south of I-88. And, Downer's Grove proved to be a very nice place to visit, with a cool downtown complete with coffee shops, a brew-pub and a Giordano's pizza.

Rob K.

crikey 11-10-2008 04:34 PM

What?? You didn't walk out wid nuttin'?? :D Just kiddin', sounds like a good geetar store visit anyway. Thanks for the tip. You mean Downers Grove, right? Last time I was in Chi-town I stayed in Rosemont. I took the train with my geetar to do a couple open mics in the city. Lotsa fun.

robkreole 11-10-2008 04:37 PM

oops...correction on location

Yes, I meant Downer's Grove. I edited the original.

Rob K.

Lawn Jockey 11-10-2008 04:39 PM

Ken Tobias is a good egg.

My duo partner got his Taylor 855CE-12 from him early last summer.

He said his shop was "drool worthy".

Joe Naper 11-20-2008 03:10 PM

Tobias Music

Ken Tobias is quite picky about which guitars he accepts from the guitar companies, and the company reps know it, so they make sure to send good ones to him. The others, I suppose, go to Guitar Center and other big stores.

jackstrat 11-20-2008 05:20 PM

I'm fortunate, Tobias is just a few miles north east of me. Can't beat their prices and service. Their guitar setup at (and after) purchase is free and they do a great job. I am hoping to spend $$ on a Taylor before Christmas there.

God and economy willing that is...

jack

Forensicguy 11-20-2008 05:21 PM

My first Taylor guitar was purchased at Ken Tobias' store. Great place and great service there! :)

dcohen 11-20-2008 07:42 PM

The best, and probably the only, "boutique" store in the west burbs. And you're right, truly and Mom and Pop shop. I live two cities west of there and it definitely beats any Guitar Center! If I'm not mistaken, the only competition they have in high end acoustics is Make N Music in Chicago and Guitar Works in Evanston. Both are a substantial hike for me, and Tobias Music fits the bill well. If you're in the west burbs of Chicago, it's easy to find on a major street in Downers Grove, south of Odgen and almost right on the train tracks in downtown Downers Grove. Worth a trip.....very nice people....excellent selection of acoustics!

EugeneBancroft 02-20-2009 12:37 AM

General Acoustic Guitar Discussion > Visit to Tobias Music, Downer's Grover IL (Chica

hi,
I'm fortunate, Tobias is just a few miles north east of me. Can't beat their prices and service. Their guitar setup at (and after) purchase is free and they do a great job. I am hoping to spend $$ on a Taylor before Christmas there.

God and economy willing that is...

www.staffingpower.com

www.sentersoftech.com

harpdog 02-20-2009 05:34 AM

Another loyal customer - Tobias is great. Pick up some White Fence Farm chicken next door - AFTER you play the guitars, of course!

spiralthinker 01-04-2011 12:57 PM

I live right down the street form Tobias and just spent my Christmas money on a new Yamaha there. I wouldn't shop anywhere else. The prices are way lower than any other local store, and they have some really great guitars. I know this is a dead post but I thought it deserved to be brought back from the dead.

rkl245 01-04-2011 02:02 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll be in Naperville next week on business, i will be sure to check them out.

martinvrod 01-04-2011 03:50 PM

I just asked them for help today..

They know that it was no 2 Cent in it for them...
But they helped me, and saved my day...
Very kind people, with fantastic service..and lightning fast communication..
It was my first contact with them...
I have just 2 words....Highly Recommended...
:):up::wild::cool:

rpryor 01-04-2011 06:29 PM

Great store,great people...........

I bought my 2 Taylors from Tobias,a 355CE 12 string and a GA3, it was a pleasant experience from start to finish. I never once felt like I was being pressured or watched,they gave me a few guitars to play and left me alone and I sold myself on the 2 that I liked. I highly recommend this store,father and son are both stand-up guys and you can't help but get the feeling that they love what they are doing.

scooter74 01-04-2011 07:10 PM

Sounds like a fantastic place. From the pictures on the web it looks small but homey and certainly well stocked. But what is with those late hours? They must get the rockers. :D

BTW, I've never been to Chicago but I hear Chicago Music Exchange is one of the premier guitar stores. Any of you locals been there?