The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   414CE-LTD vs GS... for fingerpicking (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117293)

Paul_83 01-31-2008 01:36 PM

414CE-LTD vs GS... for fingerpicking

I'm going to buy my dad a good guitar for his birthday. I've narrowed my search to 414CE-LTD and GS series. 414 with rosewood upgrade was a favorite (I like it's simple appearance, never liked abalone) until I've read some excellent reviews on GS guitars.
The problem is, living in Russia I don't have any opportunity to listen to any of these guitars personally :(. So it's definitely gonna be a blind purchase...
I'm pretty sure my father being just a hobbyist will like any of the mentioned guitars :cool:, but nevertheless can anyone suggest the best variant for fingerpicking accompaniment to singing? If GS is better, then which one (5/6/7/8)?
Thanks in advance.

KMHaynes 01-31-2008 01:42 PM

I would recommend the 414-LTD because the GA model will be a little more comfortable for your father -- unless your father is 6' tall or over. The 414 and the GS8 both have rosewood with sitka top and will sound very similar -- the GS a tad more bass, the 414 will still have a nice rich sound. The slightly smaller GA style really shines in the fingerpicking dept.

And, BTW, very nice gift for your father -- he'll be very proud and thankful, I'm sure! Nice going.

ptalbot 01-31-2008 09:59 PM

For fingerstyle stuff I would go with the 414ce-LTD. I have one of these (414ce-L7) from 2004 and it's a great guitar, especially for fingerpicking and solo accompanyment. They strum well also, but you can't wail away on them like you can the GS or better yet, a dreadnaught. The GS has more low end and will have a full sound, but I don't believe the note separation will be as distinct as what you will experience with the 414ce-LTD. As with all things...there will be those of differing opinions and mileage will most certainly vary. ;) Either way, you win. What a great gift to be able to give, as well as receive. Well played!

Chazmo 01-31-2008 10:07 PM

No way you can go wrong here. :)

Paul_83 02-01-2008 11:16 AM

Thanks to everyone!

So 414CE-LTD is more suitable for fingerstyle? My father is 188cm (6'2'') tall so I think GS contour wouldn't be a problem :) But
what about GS7? It has a cedar top, won't it be better for fingerpicking?

Paul_83 02-04-2008 12:38 PM

BTW, has anyone compared 414CE to similar-priced Larrivees? How are they for fingerpicking? How does the L.R. Baggs Element Notch/iMix pickup sound compared to Taylor's Expression System?

SongwriterFan 02-04-2008 12:44 PM

I really liked the GS's over the x14's . . . even for fingerstyle.

My personal favorites are the maple/spruce and the mahogany/cedar.

doug1 02-04-2008 12:57 PM

i have had several Taylors, Martins and guilds and now i have a GA4 and i think it is the best guitar a have owned and some of the other guitars i have had costs twice as much. which ever Taylor you choose, it is a great gift. good luck Doug