The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What is a "leading tone" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488973)

icuker 11-10-2017 04:49 AM

What is a "leading tone"

Not sure I can define it. Or fully understand what it is. just looking to clear up confusion, or maybe I'm making it too hard.

Stomp 11-10-2017 05:43 AM

It's the seventh degree of a major scale.

Wyllys 11-10-2017 06:27 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading-tone

amyFB 11-10-2017 07:04 AM

It’s the note that makes you want to go ‘there’ rather than stay ‘here’ .

Wyllys 11-10-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyFB (Post 5532681)
It’s the note that makes you want to go ‘there’ rather than stay ‘here’ .

Or be "here" rather than stay "there"...;)

Mr. Jelly 11-10-2017 09:31 AM

In my simple mind it's the notes one or two frets below the root note of the chord that will played next.

JonPR 11-10-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomp (Post 5532627)
It's the seventh degree of a major scale.

and harmonic minor. ;)

FwL 11-10-2017 02:31 PM

It's when you're wife or girlfriend wants you to do something, but they don't want to come right out and say it.

icuker 11-11-2017 04:34 AM

Good wife joke, I can relate. ;)

Dylan 11-11-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly (Post 5532796)
In my simple mind it's the notes one or two frets below the root note of the chord that will played next.

In order to be a leading tone by the textbook definition, it has to be one fret (a half step) below the other note. A note that is two frets (a whole step down) is technically called a sub-tonic.

Mr. Jelly 11-11-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 5533702)
In order to be a leading tone by the textbook definition, it has to be one fret (a half step) below the other note. A note that is two frets (a whole step down) is technically called a sub-tonic.

Those darn textbooks make a liar out of me every time. :-)

So would a sub-tonic to a leading tone be a walk up? I'm just funnin it's just music.

Todd Tipton 11-16-2017 08:18 AM

There is an old story (I'm sure that it isn't true) that when Mozart was a very young child, his father would come into his bedroom early in the morning and approach his harpsichord across the room. He would then play, "Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti" and then leave the room.

Agitated, Mozart would finally have to get out of bed to finish the scale, "Do!" That was his alarm clock. Ti is the leading tone. ;-)

Wyllys 11-16-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Tipton (Post 5538461)
There is an old story (I'm sure that it isn't true) that when Mozart was a very young child, his father would come into his bedroom early in the morning and approach his harpsichord across the room. He would then play, "Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti" and then leave the room.

Agitated, Mozart would finally have to get out of bed to finish the scale, "Do!" That was his alarm clock. Ti is the leading tone. ;-)

Whereas his brother Groucho would get up, go to the piano, play "Sol La Sol Ta" and go back to bed.

vindibona1 11-16-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Tipton (Post 5538461)

A little off topic... but since you brought up solfege (Do, Re, Mi, Fa, etc) it might be interesting to note that American and Europeans use the solfege syllables differently. In America "Do" is always I (the numeral), what we call a moveable Do as it will always be the tonic in every key. In Europe "Do" is always C, Re=D, Mi=E, etc. It does not move regardless of the key.

RodB 11-16-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5539006)
......<snip>........In Europe "Do" is always C, Re=D, Mi=E, etc. It does not move regardless of the key.

It can be quite confusing at first when you are brought up on one and are trying to communicate with people that only know the other.

BTW - Ireland and the UK as well as other English speaking countries use movable 'Do', the rest of Europe and much of the world do indeed use a fixed 'Do'.