The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Breaking in new hard case? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488404)

Filum 11-05-2017 07:49 AM

Breaking in new hard case?

So, down the youtube rabbit hole...

Lo and behold, I came across this Sweetwater hardshell case. Where the lid needs to be pushed down with considerable force and latched shut.

The video claims that it will require time for the foam to break in. It looks kinda dangerous especially for acoustics, as compared to the full solid chunk on electrics.

Acoustic HS Case

Electric HS Case

My dreadnoughts HS cases do not require such force to be applied even on its 1st fit.

I'm rather curious, if this is the norm?

What's your experience/take on this?

beatcomber 11-05-2017 07:55 AM

I bought an inexpensive hard case at GC for my Recording King guitar, and the fit was tight at first. I was likewise cautious of not crunching the top of the guitar when pushing it in.

A year later, the guitar fits much more comfortably.

Anyway, I prefer having a tight-fitting case to a loose-fitting case.

Gasworker 11-05-2017 08:06 AM

All of my cases require a little downward pressure. I've never given it a second thought. Hmmm?

DenverSteve 11-05-2017 10:51 AM

If "considerable force" means sitting on it or requiring assistance, that is not correct. If considerable force means pushing down slightly to latch the hasp then that's okay. If your guitar goes into the case and the top is at or below the top edge of case then you will be fine. I don't see "considerable force" being used in the video.

s2y 11-05-2017 10:58 AM

I like to Tone Rite my cases for about 200 hours.

Shades of Blue 11-05-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 5527740)

This!!! +1

It may take a while, but even through normal use, it may take years for your new case to open up. But, once you do, you'll notice the extreme difference in how much better it stores your guitar. You may even notice an increase in protective ability....

Dru Edwards 11-05-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 5527740)

LOL! Quote of the day, s2y.

Filum, I've never heard about using considerable force on a case before. I don't see any issue using some light pressure on it but I wouldn't jolt it with 50 pounds. I'm guessing that the term "considerable force" means something different to different people.

jim1960 11-05-2017 11:46 AM

I own two Ameritage cases. What you're seeing in the video is normal and the cases are absolutely top notch. I'm in the process of having another guitar made and went with the Ameritage upgrade for that one as well.

Don54 11-05-2017 11:49 AM

I have cases that typically have snug fit and DO NOT require any significant force to close shut.

As far as these sweetwater cases go, I don’t think a little pressure from the foam will do much harm to an acoustic guitar. Now if the hard shell part of the case is too small for the guitar, exerting too much pressure to close could cause some damage.

Wade Hampton 11-05-2017 03:05 PM

As a general rule of thumb, having to press the lid down to latch a case is a danger signal that the case is slightly too small for the guitar. Perhaps that’s normal for this brand of case, but it’s most definitely not normal for Geib-style cases and other traditional hardshell cases.

whm

Big Band Guitar 11-05-2017 03:29 PM

A good case should require little or no pressure to close.

I have never owned a case that required even light pressure to close.

WilbornGuitars 11-05-2017 05:54 PM

I've sent a lot of my guitars out in Ameritage cases, and they do tend to be snug at first, then smoosh into a perfect fit. But if your senses are crying out "NO! DONT CLOSE IT" then by all means listen to them. It may just be too small...

mickthemiller 11-05-2017 06:23 PM

I'm fine so long as I don't have to sit on the case.

TKT 11-05-2017 06:54 PM

All I can say is that video made my toes curl, not in a good way. :eek:

The Bard Rocks 11-05-2017 08:10 PM

too tight blues

If you guitar fits too snugly and you are forced to push it down to close the case, be sure to push down along the edges. NOT anywhere else. Irregardless, it should not take much force to seat it properly, maybe only what the pinky could exert by itself - or less.

My Goodall is in the original case and after 12 years, I still use a small bit of force to seat it. It's not giving up easily and, no, I did not tone-rite it.