The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Compare Martin GPCPA1 and GPCPA3 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233610)

neutron77 11-18-2011 08:09 AM

Compare Martin GPCPA1 and GPCPA3

For anyone that has actually played these guitars, how do the Martin GPCPA1 and GPCPA3 compare in sound and feel/playability for mainly finger-picking style? Exactly the same pickup system? Other important differences (apart from visual/cosmetic)?

mutantrock 11-18-2011 09:21 AM

Very similar playability and sound. The electronics are the same.
The differences are in the appointments or in other words primarily the appearance. I have the GPCPA1 and it is beautiful instrument. The GPCPA3 is also awesome and compared to other guitars around it price is hard to beat for an electric/acoustic. The Aura F1 electronics ( GPCPA1 and GPCPA3) are simply the best you can get built into a new guitar , IMO.

rmyAddison 11-18-2011 09:30 AM

Plugged in, as they are meant to be used, I would say the differences are minimal, they have the same F1 Aura system.

The differences are:

The GPCPA1 get the better wood upgrade

The 1 has an ebony fingerboard and bridge, the 3 is Black Richlite

The 1 has a bone nut the 3 is corian

Both have TUSC saddles which is common with Martin Acoustic/Electrics regardless of cost, I still bone my saddles for a little more warmth.

I bought a 1, didn't play a lot with the 2-4 because I knew I wasn't buying them. As the 1-3 have the F1 Aura electronics plugged in they should sound very similar, you're paying for wood upgrades, Ebony over Richlite, wood binding over Boltaron, and rosette abalone, etc.

The 4 has the Fishman Analog system, no images, it does sound different, I tried it just to hear and it's very nice but the F1 Aura sounds better to me and is much more powerful with useful features.

So, again plugged in the 1-3 should be very similar. My brother is visiting (bass player) and I fired up my studio PA and we played for hours last night, the F1 Aura sounded fantastic, he praised the sound.

I think any of the F1 Aura equipped Martins will sound great plugged, happy shopping!!

neutron77 11-18-2011 09:45 AM

thanks for the great advice. Since neither of these Martins are in stock (in Ottawa) I am going to order in the GPCPA3 (deposit required but don't have to buy if not happy) for testing. Anyone here in the Ottawa Ont (or environ) area that has either the GPCPA3 or GPCPA1 that I can try out? (in exchange, you can try my Fender Vintage Reissue Jaguar electric (1999 absolutely perfect condition) :D

neutron77 11-18-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 2831341)
Plugged in, as they are meant to be used,.

Unplugged, how do they sound?

rmyAddison 11-18-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron77 (Post 2831382)
Unplugged, how do they sound?

They sound fine, but they are braced differently than standard Martins, to me they are a bit of Martin-lite if you will, very nicely balanced, not as complex with harmonics/overtones (a good thing plugged in), and not as much "growl".

I realize not everybody can have multiple Martins, I don't play my Aura unplugged, my other martins sound better acoustically, which is why I emphacize these are stage guitars, that is their purpose.

Folks who don't perform regularly in my opinion are better served getting a traditional Martin which will sound better unplugged, and add a UST/pickup system if/when they need it. If someone mostly plays unplugged and only getting one guitar I wouldn't buy an Aura, mine sits unless I'm pluggin in, and my performing friends are the same way, Auras for stage, standard Martins otherwise, or if it's a venue where we can use microphones.

Suit the guitar to the need...................;)

neutron77 11-18-2011 11:47 AM

Thanks again for the great insight and info.
Since I plan to only get one acoustic, and will play 50/50 unplugged/stage-plugged, what Martin (with pickup) would you say is the best compromise?

jhchang 11-18-2011 12:33 PM

If you can afford get a GPCPA1. If budget tight then GPCPA3.

jmjohnson 11-18-2011 02:41 PM

I think a GPC would be a GREAT 'compromise' do-it-all guitar for what you are after. The extra body size/depth adds a bit of umph like a dread. The body shape adds some comfort and style like an OM. The 1.75" P profile neck is very comfy, with good fingerpicking room. The spec of light gauge strings keeps things a bit easier. The hydrid bracing allows for some nice shimmer in the tones. The unplugged tone is really nice, The electronics are stellar. They look awesome.

For a one only purchase, I'd get the 'best I could afford' (even if more then I wanted to spend) and go with the -1.

neutron77 11-18-2011 03:16 PM

great! Thanks all for more info. I just found out that there is a GPCPA3 in a store so I'll try that out tomorrow. If I really like it, I'll decide on the spot to take it, or ponder the extra $1k for the A1!

Kitchen Guitars 11-18-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 2831459)
They sound fine, but they are braced differently than standard Martins, to me they are a bit of Martin-lite if you will, very nicely balanced, not as complex with harmonics/overtones (a good thing plugged in), and not as much "growl".

I realize not everybody can have multiple Martins, I don't play my Aura unplugged, my other martins sound better acoustically, which is why I emphacize these are stage guitars, that is their purpose.

Folks who don't perform regularly in my opinion are better served getting a traditional Martin which will sound better unplugged, and add a UST/pickup system if/when they need it. If someone mostly plays unplugged and only getting one guitar I wouldn't buy an Aura, mine sits unless I'm pluggin in, and my performing friends are the same way, Auras for stage, standard Martins otherwise, or if it's a venue where we can use microphones.

Suit the guitar to the need...................;)

Interesting. I played one unplugged in a store and wrote the pretty and comfortable thing off tonally as a near miss. She's built to plug in, got it. Next time I am in the store I'll plug her in and check it out.

kabulrocks 11-18-2011 11:02 PM

How does the GPCPA Mahogany compare to the PA1 unplugged? My wife has the PA1 and loves it. I'm thinking the mahogany version would be a "complementary" sound when played with the PA1, if that makes any sense. reason for asking- I'm GASing for one of these, probably either the PA3 or the PA mahogany. I do like the bling of the PA 1 however.

Chordpounder 11-19-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron77 (Post 2831491)
Thanks again for the great insight and info.
Since I plan to only get one acoustic, and will play 50/50 unplugged/stage-plugged, what Martin (with pickup) would you say is the best compromise?

Not to muddy the waters, but an OM21 with a K&K Western pickup might be a great choice for you, since you play unplugged so much.

I play out only once or twice a month, and am unplugged all the other times. I have a PA4 because I don't need the very nice Aura.

I also have an OM with that pickup, and it's my go-to guitar.

neutron77 11-19-2011 09:36 AM

What about the OMCPA3 compared to the GPCPA3? unplugged and plugged-in comparison?

neutron77 11-21-2011 09:00 AM

going to try the GPCPA3 today!