The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha Sj-180 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156728)

jerrywd 06-13-2009 04:14 PM

Yamaha Sj-180

Yamaha sj-180

Any opinions about this guitar? I've owned one for 20+ years and I am wondering what the thoughts are from the street on this model.:) By the way, how do I turn my subject line bold?

BuckMahoney 06-13-2009 04:47 PM

Great guitar,i use it in allot of different tunings.Kinda weird how i got mine,it was on kijiji in the city so i got my friend to pick it up for me and he put it in the storage copartment under the bus:eek:,after a long vigorous ride without a case it came through all right,he almost didnt want to give it up when i handed him the money haha.Looks like its been close to allot of fires but it still carrys a tune and is a great strumming or fingerstyle guitar.The nut spacing is comfortable and i like the slightly beefy neck.all in all its a great guitar.

JLS 06-13-2009 10:18 PM

Sj-180

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrywd (Post 1874855)
Yamaha sj-180

Any opinions about this guitar? I've owned one for 20+ years and I am wondering what the thoughts are from the street on this model.:) By the way, how do I turn my subject line bold?

I have three of them now, fixing them up for resale; I've previously owned four. Excellent, underappreciated guitars; I think I did the first of my many Yamaha neck resets, on one. A properly installed JLD, and a properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center, are great mods for these. A better, tightly fitted saddle, should go w/o saying.

I've been kicking around the idea of converting one into a 12-string, w/a
Rick-style headstock, and 6 pin bridge. Maybe a red label FG-150, instead?

Kitchen Guitars 06-13-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS (Post 1875054)
I have three of them now, fixing them up for resale; I've previously owned four. Excellent, underappreciated guitars; I think I did the first of my many Yamaha neck resets, on one. A properly installed JLD, and a properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center, are great mods for these. A better, tightly fitted saddle, should go w/o saying.

I've been kicking around the idea of converting one into a 12-string, w/a
Rick-style headstock, and 6 pin bridge. Maybe a red label FG-150, instead?

Pretty sure the top will cave in from the pressure it was not built for. Go Rodger McGuinn, I have a double G guitar on my bench right now. And a 340 that will be an 8 string.
Have fun, post pictures

BuckMahoney 06-13-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS (Post 1875054)
properly cut nut, w/o the strings jammed to the center,

should have mentioned the nut on mine wasn't the original.

JLS 06-14-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie (Post 1875084)
Pretty sure the top will cave in from the pressure it was not built for. Go Rodger McGuinn, I have a double G guitar on my bench right now. And a 340 that will be an 8 string.
Have fun, post pictures

Not with a JLD installed.

Lunargent 09-24-2012 06:01 PM

What strings?

Hi, I was just given (!!) an SJ 180. What strings do you recommend?

I want something with light action and easy to play, while preserving as much of this guitar's lovely tone as possible.

Thanks

p^h 09-24-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunargent (Post 3189070)
Hi, I was just given (!!) an SJ 180. What strings do you recommend?

I want something with light action and easy to play, while preserving as much of this guitar's lovely tone as possible.

Thanks

I'm pretty happy with D'Addario EJ16s on mine. I even tune down a half-step from time to time. Congrats on the gift! Fun guitar - for me the body size/shape and neck are almost perfect.