The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tune 6th String to F (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165214)

Brent Hutto 10-02-2009 07:25 AM

Tune 6th String to F

There's a song I'm going to start working on that's in the key of C, played mostly in first position. Real simple chord shapes mostly C, F, G, G7 and slight variations. But a couple of the F chords really need that bottom F and I don't have a finger that can get over there. It's a natural spot for fretting the 6th string, 1st fret with the thumb.

Here's the thing. I can't fret with my thumb to save my life due to the position I hold the guitar. Well, of course I can fret with my thumb but not while using my other three fingers at the same time I mean.

So I noticed there's not a low E in the whole song. In fact, except for one passing (eighth note) F# starting out a bass run the only notes on that bottom string are the 1st-fret F and the 3rd-fret G. Well, heck I can play a G or G7 shape with the bottom string fretted at the 2nd as easily as the 3rd so it occurs to me that I can just tune the 6th string up a half-step and never need my thumb down there.

Has anyone ever done this? I just tried it for a minute or two and it seems to work great. And on my short-scale (24.8") guitar with light-gauge strings I'm not at all worried about a little extra tension. I even think it adds to the tone a little bit as that open F rings a little even when I'm playing C and F shape stuff on the higher strings...

vac4873 10-02-2009 08:47 AM

Never tried that, but it sounds like a creative and useful solution to me, given your variables. :) I'm just a little surprise there is no C/E in a tune that's in the key of C, but even so, you can spot it on the 4th string if need be.

Brent Hutto 10-02-2009 08:50 AM

I won't swear there's not a C/E in there somewhere, although I've listened to it quite closely several times. The guy playing it seems to prefer the C/G when he brings the 6th string in at all.

Forgot to mention the tune is Home Sweet Home, nothing exotic or unusual.

David Hilyard 10-02-2009 10:04 AM

There's an arrangement I play (Doug Young's arrangement) of "Rhiannon" that has the 6th string tuned up to F. It works great and gives a solid bass sound there, even when I'm in the upper frets on the melody or chords. The bass F creates a nice bottom end anchor. Go for it.

Wolf 10-02-2009 10:59 AM

I think this is a very smart an inovative way of thinking. The guitar should be tuned so it is as easy as possible to play. What we hear is all that matters.

Kabalan 10-02-2009 11:15 AM

hi
i play my own composition with the 6 string in f, i use lydian scale and f is the
principal key. sounds very nice

HarleySpirit 10-02-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 1976810)
I think this is a very smart an inovative way of thinking. The guitar should be tuned so it is as easy as possible to play. What we hear is all that matters.

This is exactly why so many great players use alternate tunings, to play their original compositions. :)

Brent Hutto 10-02-2009 05:54 PM

As some have mentioned, it really does change the sound of the guitar a little. The 6th string has always been the weakest sounding one on this guitar but it gets just the tiniest bit more of both attack and sustain when tuned up to F. All of which is fine as long as I don't need to play an E!

Bern 10-04-2009 10:51 AM

Good luck...hope it'll work for you.