The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   CA Cargo? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161459)

royd 08-16-2009 05:21 PM

CA Cargo?

does anyone here use the cargo as more than just a travel gutar or novelty? Ie, does it work as a "real" guitar?

yardism 08-16-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royd (Post 1930034)
does anyone here use the cargo as more than just a travel gutar or novelty? Ie, does it work as a "real" guitar?

define "real guitar"?

royd 08-16-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

define "real guitar"?
no offense meant to anyone...

what I'm asking is how it works as a replacement/substitute for a full size normal scale length guitar...

I've played one only once and was impressed by the bass response and the volume but didn't play it enough to be able to have a real answer to those questions

yardism 08-16-2009 05:38 PM

No offense taken. I have not played a cargo, but there are a number of world class musicians that endorse CA guitars.

mercy 08-16-2009 05:47 PM

No matter what the merits as a travel guitar, I cant get serious about substituting something that looks and feels like a toy for a regular guitar. So travel guitar ya, home nay.

Bugeyed 08-16-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 1930053)
No matter what the merits as a travel guitar, I cant get serious about substituting something that looks and feels like a toy for a regular guitar. So travel guitar ya, home nay.

I didn't think that the CA Cargo looked or felt like a "toy". I considered it as a "regular" guitar until I played an OX. Not much more expensive & sounds great. The raw version sounds best IMHO.

rolleiguy54 08-16-2009 06:29 PM

I recently attended Guitar Week at the Swannanoa Gathering. As I had planned on traveling some on the way down and home to Wisconsin I stopped in Chicago at the Music Gallery, a very nice shop, and bought a Cargo. After playing it for a half hour I had them pack up my Taylor and send it home. After spending a week playing the Cargo I did not regret having my main guitar for a minute. The Cargo plays and sound great. I found a singer songwriter that leaves her Santa Cruz om home from gigs now after buying one. I could have sold several Cargos after other players tried mine. I am now looking at a CA dred.

OddManOut 08-16-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royd (Post 1930043)
no offense meant to anyone...

what I'm asking is how it works as a replacement/substitute for a full size normal scale length guitar...

I've played one only once and was impressed by the bass response and the volume but didn't play it enough to be able to have a real answer to those questions

I don't think so. I was excited when I got mine, then liked it less and less as I played it. I got it as an upgrade to my Baby Taylor, but ended up preferring my Baby T. I've since set my Cargo adrift on the winds of GAS.

From playing mine extensively and trying out a number of others, I found the following to be largely true. Cargos have a compressed, very crisp sound. They are a bit 'fawpy' due to the short scale length. On the one I owned and several other I tried, the high strings tended to buzz out against the frets a bit. There is not truss rod so setups are a bit more hit-or-miss.

Like any guitar, if you can sift through a number of Cargos, you'll probably find a good one that has a minimum of these issues. However, I believe you'll have to do a fair amount of sifting.

BTW, the first one I received was sent back as deffective because the action was rediculously low. So I wonder a bit about their QC.

So, in short, they are a sacrifice over a regular guitar. If you want a travel size guitar with good projection that is immune to the elements, then they may be a good choice for you.

biggs2 08-16-2009 07:50 PM

My Cargo gets more play time than any of my other guitars. For me, it is as real as any of my other guitars. Obviously, the Cargo has smaller body and a 22.75" scale and does not have the volume of a larger guitar. But, IMO, it sounds and plays (has a 1.75" neck) like a much bigger than it is. I haven't played a guitar its size that has more bass and midrange. I traded a Martin LXM which was a good travel guitar but didn't have the projection or bass of the Cargo.

gitnoob 08-16-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddManOut (Post 1930144)
They are a bit 'fawpy' due to the short scale length.

I just searched for the word "fawpy," and I can confirm that you are the first to use that word!

But I think I know what you mean -- sort of a low-tension string sound, right?

benplaut 08-16-2009 08:35 PM

There are a few folks at carbonguitar.com who exclusively use a cargo... seems like a good option.

OddManOut 08-16-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitnoob (Post 1930206)
I just searched for the word "fawpy," and I can confirm that you are the first to use that word!

But I think I know what you mean -- sort of a low-tension string sound, right?

Yes, that is what I mean. I've heard it used before...and I asked for the same clarification you did. :lol:

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 08-17-2009 12:04 PM

I spent a few years collecting travel guitars and have tried them all. At one point there were dozens of travel guitars in my guitar room at home being evaluated by me, and some of my musician friends. After extensively testing everything form sub-compact models like the Martin Backpacker to every 3/4 size model I could find, we all agreed that in the 3/4 size class (if we keep it below $1500 street price) the hands down winner is the Larrivee Parlor with the Cargo coming in a close second. These two 3/4 size guitars are "real" guitars. As much as I love my Baby Taylor and my Martin Felix, they are not in the same class as far as tone and playability go.

As for quality CA control issues, I had about sixty CA's pass through my hands since March and I only had one complaint, which I suspect had more to do with the client choosing the wrong model than any QC issues. Yes, I heard about the complaints on the Carbon forum which is run by one of the CA dealers. These complaints had to do with aesthetic issues on the new RAW models which sell for 30-50% less than the other models and were never advertised as pretty. In any case all issues were addressed by CA and I think the complaints have subsided. I just hope they don't raise the price.

As a travel companion, a CA Cargo RAW will cost you about twice what a Baby Taylor or Martin LX will, but they sounds ten time better than either, will last a hundred times as long, and it's the only one made right here in the USA by American workers.

My two pennies

emmonsh 08-17-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yardism (Post 1930049)
No offense taken. I have not played a cargo, but there are a number of world class musicians that endorse CA guitars.

they play nice but they sound nothing like a wood guitar,nothing. now they do sound good but not like a wood guitar

wgnorman 08-17-2009 01:30 PM

Yes it is a real guitar and I play it as frequently (sometimes even more) as my Goodall, H&D, Collings, and Taylor. It holds up well amongst that company and I leave it around the house, in the truck, or on the poch - something others can't do since they always remain in my 70 degree 50%rh room