The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Endpin preamp for PRESTIGE 330? Other options? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461273)

Chicago 02-25-2017 07:20 PM

Endpin preamp for PRESTIGE 330? Other options?

I am getting ready to install a prestige 330 I'm my Seagull S6 Folk (body is a little smaller than an OM) and I'd like to get an endpin preamp (or any preamp that doesn't require cutting a hole in the guitar) to install as well. I'm also about to install a Trance Amulet in my Larrivee L03, so I'd rather not buy something super pricey for the Seagull. I'm currently looking into the artec endpin preamp. As nice as $30 for a preamp seems, it makes me a bit uneasy. I HAVE read decent things about the Artec, but I'm curious about your opinions regarding this preamp, as well as what other options are out there that won't break the bank.

martingitdave 02-25-2017 09:40 PM

Purchase the K&K Pre Phase endpin preamp. $69. Works really well with K&K/JBB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonfields45 02-26-2017 10:01 AM

I would definitely love to hear about someone's experiences with the Artec endpin preamp and a K&K (JJB, etc.) style soundboard transducer. There is no reason why a simple preamp could not be sold at that price point, but it would be nice if someone took the plunge and reported back.

Marek 02-27-2017 05:56 AM

Hi,

Thing that may be considered regarding Artec preamp, is possible to hot signal from K&K/JJB pickup - Artec endpin preamp is supposed to be used with piezo undersaddle (known to have a lot weaker signal).

Marek

jonfields45 02-27-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek (Post 5248023)
Hi,

Thing that may be considered regarding Artec preamp, is possible to hot signal from K&K/JJB pickup - Artec endpin preamp is supposed to be used with piezo undersaddle (known to have a lot weaker signal).

Marek

If it distorts, a resistor divider could be added ahead of the preamp. Put four 1M ohm resistors in series across the pickup output and tap off the one nearest the pickup center conductor for -2.5 db, or the next for -6 db, or the next for -12 db.

roylor4 02-27-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago (Post 5246186)
I am getting ready to install a prestige 330 I'm my Seagull S6 Folk (body is a little smaller than an OM) and I'd like to get an endpin preamp (or any preamp that doesn't require cutting a hole in the guitar) to install as well. I'm also about to install a Trance Amulet in my Larrivee L03, so I'd rather not buy something super pricey for the Seagull. I'm currently looking into the artec endpin preamp. As nice as $30 for a preamp seems, it makes me a bit uneasy. I HAVE read decent things about the Artec, but I'm curious about your opinions regarding this preamp, as well as what other options are out there that won't break the bank.

Why not go with an external preamp? I use the JJB 330 and a Behringer ADI21 with excellent results (and yes, I play gigs regularly).

martingitdave 02-27-2017 09:58 AM

Gotta be honest... pay the extra $30 and get the K&K prepahse endpin preamp that is designed for the three transducer design from K&K and JBB. Don't mess around soldering resistors on the tiny PCB inside the endpin jack. *shudder* You're going to ruin it and waste the $30. Might as well spend the extra $30 up front and buy something designed for the purpose.