The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone use the Bose L1 System (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278071)

Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars 01-01-2013 02:41 PM

Anyone use the Bose L1 System

I have one and love it! play my Ren 6 through a Dtar Mamma Bear and into a TC Helicon GXt for vocals. The Vocals are insane good, but with GXt i get feedback issues. Anyone experience this?

Rodger 01-01-2013 03:25 PM

I use the Bose L1 and the same TC Helicon harmonizer. I haven't had any feedback issues, but I do experience something weird. If I connect it for stereo outputs, after 40 minutes to an hour, the main vocals drop out and I just get the delayed vocals. I have to power it down and back up for normal play. This doesn't happen if I wire it for mono use.

I have a Taylor K20 and a Bourgeois Vintage D with K & K PW minis into a BBE Acoustimax to the L1. Great acoustic tones and I really like the TC Helicon. I try to use the harmonies sparingly. Last gig I played someone asked where I was hiding the backup singers... pretty cool.

BTW, I enjoyed your website! First time I had looked at it.

Captain Jim 01-01-2013 03:43 PM

I use an L1Compact with various guitars (generally a Taylor 814ce) and the TC Helicon Gxt. I didn't buy the T1 Tonematch, and found that if I was getting feedback, it generally meant I was overplaying the space. The L1 doesn't have to be pumping the same volume as a more traditional PA to "fill" the room. Even though Bose suggests having the L1 behind and slightly to the side, I have found that I am more prone to getting feedback if it is too close.

Recently, I added a Fishman Loudbox Mini... I run the guitar through the Gxt into the first channel of the Mini, run the mic from the Gxt into the second channel of the Mini. Using the Mini as a mixer, I run an XLR line out from the Mini into the Bose. I haven't had an issue with feedback with this set up. I'm just an old rock 'n roller and don't understand all the nuances of this, but I am very pleased with the tone, the stronger mids, and the ease with this set up.

Prior to the Mini, I used an inexpensive DI/EQ pedal to control the tone, which also made a big difference with any feedback issue.

I really like the Bose, especially after using it for a couple years, giving me plenty of opportunities to refine how I use it. The more I use it, the better I like it. Doesn't put out the raw volume of the powered Peavey mixer/head with 15s and horns I had before, but this Compact works better for my needs (and any toting).

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars 01-02-2013 12:27 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Quite surprised neither one of you really had the feedback issues (vocally). When I get my sound right, it's freakin' amazing, and I sing with much more confidence, but man... I have to balance it just right. Hey, where do you guys put the "input" level at on your gXt? Mine usually about "noon" or lower????