The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How do you get the most natural sound from your ES? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230090)

taylorDude710 10-09-2011 04:30 PM

How do you get the most natural sound from your ES?

I'm sure there is probably already a post out there like this, but I'm a sound snob and am always trying to get the best, most natural sound out of my ES.

Currently I'm using a 2011 914ce -> Boss Chorus Ensemble -> Boss Digital Reverb -> Fishman Aura Spectrum DI (25% blend image + 25% Compression) -> Mackie passive mixer -> JBL G2 EONs.

EQ set pretty flat, usually take a little out of the mid range.

Seems to do the job but I'm curious if there is anyone using a similar setup but perhaps has found something extra/different that gives you the edge?

TD.

Steely Glen 10-09-2011 04:35 PM

I run my two ES equipped Taylors into the K4 preamp using a TRS/TRS cable. The K4 then outputs to the house PA. Everything is just about flat, except for a little cut around 250hz. I played my 714ce this way this morning and it sounded amazing....very natural and warm.

I do find it interesting that you use the Aura to deliver natural sounding results with the ES. I'm pretty sure the Aura is only optimal for UST systems.

taylorDude710 10-09-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Glen (Post 2788458)
I run my two ES equipped Taylors into the K4 preamp using a TRS/TRS cable. The K4 then outputs to the house PA. Everything is just about flat, except for a little cut around 250hz. I played my 714ce this way this morning and it sounded amazing....very natural and warm.

I do find it interesting that you use the Aura to deliver natural sounding results with the ES. I'm pretty sure the Aura is only optimal for UST systems.

The Aura still gives a slight improvement IMO to the ES sound with the correct image blended slightly.

leeasam 10-09-2011 05:38 PM

well for natural I would not use any pedals like chorus or reverb. that is not natural but added color to the sound. frankly I run mine from the guitar to the snake using a trs--xlr cable then at the sound board eq very slightly to the FOH to get the tone most like the guitar.

Years ago( in the 80s) i had an ovation and used stuff like chorus and reverb etc. Frankly the guitar needed it. With my 816CE it has so much natural overtones it sounds like it has chorus and reverb almost in the guitar even unplugged.

I guess for me I like the acoustics dry-- if I want to add FX then I will just as well use my Les Paul on a clean channel.

taylorDude710 10-09-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeasam (Post 2788516)
well for natural I would not use any pedals like chorus or reverb. that is not natural but added color to the sound. frankly I run mine from the guitar to the snake using a trs--xlr cable then at the sound board eq very slightly to the FOH to get the tone most like the guitar.

Years ago( in the 80s) i had an ovation and used stuff like chorus and reverb etc. Frankly the guitar needed it. With my 816CE it has so much natural overtones it sounds like it has chorus and reverb almost in the guitar even unplugged.

I guess for me I like the acoustics dry-- if I want to add FX then I will just as well use my Les Paul on a clean channel.

Hardly use the chorus.

rolleiguy54 10-09-2011 06:25 PM

Does anybody change their set up when switching from a pick to finger style ?

jeffg 10-09-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorDude710 (Post 2788454)
Currently I'm using a 2011 914ce -> Boss Chorus Ensemble -> Boss Digital Reverb -> Fishman Aura Spectrum DI (25% blend image + 25% Compression) -> Mackie passive mixer -> JBL G2 EONs.

You realize that when you run the ES into unbalanced inputs like a boss pedal you are getting a -6db cut in signal gain. Have you noticed that or does it cause you any problems? For a comparison take a 1/4 inch trs to xlr cable and go straight from the guitar to your mackie mixer and you will see the difference in gain.

jeff

Glennwillow 10-09-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorDude710 (Post 2788487)
The Aura still gives a slight improvement IMO to the ES sound with the correct image blended slightly.

Hi TD,

That is very interesting that the Aura Spectrum DI provides an improvement on the ES sound. I will have to try that. I would not have expected it to work so I have never tried this.

Cool!
Glenn

ZUMA48 10-10-2011 05:19 AM

What image are you using om the Aura Spectrum for the Taylor?

stratokatsu 10-10-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 (Post 2788549)
Does anybody change their set up when switching from a pick to finger style ?

I don't. Since my finger style is played with my finger tips, not nails, and since I pick with thin picks, there's a big tonal difference that lets me hear what I feel fits whatever the song demands.

rolleiguy54 10-10-2011 06:59 AM

Thanks for the reply

mutantrock 10-10-2011 07:08 AM

My friend uses an Aura Spectrum on his 2011 414ce. Interestingly, he uses the 714ce image on it and I think it sounds great for what we play.
The ES also sounds good to me by itself so I am not implying the ES needs an Aura.

taylorDude710 10-10-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffg (Post 2788573)
You realize that when you run the ES into unbalanced inputs like a boss pedal you are getting a -6db cut in signal gain. Have you noticed that or does it cause you any problems? For a comparison take a 1/4 inch trs to xlr cable and go straight from the guitar to your mackie mixer and you will see the difference in gain.

jeff

Hi Jeff.

I am using the FX loop off the Fishman and running a balanced XLR/XLR from the fishman to to Mackie.

taylorDude710 10-10-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZUMA48 (Post 2788853)
What image are you using om the Aura Spectrum for the Taylor?

I'm using a custom image. A Taylor 814ce Spruce/Rosewood using. Neumann U87.

jeffg 10-10-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorDude710 (Post 2789236)
Hi Jeff.

I am using the FX loop off the Fishman and running a balanced XLR/XLR from the fishman to to Mackie.

Right but since the input on the spectrum DI is unbalanced you will still get the gain cut. I suppose it does not matter since the spectrum has an input trim control - you can set that for the input gain level you want.

I am really surprised that you are getting good results with the Aura and ES - I thought the Aura was just for UST type pickups.

jwg