The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491811)

drplayer 12-05-2017 07:47 AM

D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings...

I obviously can't predict if you'll like them, but I've had these on three different small bodied (two "00" & one "0"), 12-fret, all-mahogany guitars, and they sounded incredible on every one. FWIW, I've tried them on a few other guitars too and they were just okay, but for whatever reason--at least to my ear--they really shine on small bodied all-hogs. Worth a shot if you're thinking of experimenting a little...

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p...psw7ga8s8j.jpg

hat 12-05-2017 08:00 AM

They are my favorite strings at the moment - but I won't pay the $12 asking price for them. They are just not that much better than the std EJ16's that I'm willing to pay 2x the $$ for them.

guitargabor 12-05-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat (Post 5558447)
They are my favorite strings at the moment - but I won't pay the $12 asking price for them. They are just not that much better than the std EJ16's that I'm willing to pay 2x the $$ for them.

agree,on the other hand the Martin monel strings are quite reasonable in price

drplayer 12-05-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat (Post 5558447)

For me, I easily get twice the life out of them...probably closer to 3-4X the life, so not any more expensive in the long run; in fact, maybe cheaper.

pandaroo 12-05-2017 08:48 AM

I have them on my Collings D2HT at the moment and is my first time with it. So far i like it and it is lasting longer than the EJ16s.

hat 12-05-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drplayer (Post 5558463)
For me, I easily get twice the life out of them...probably closer to 3-4X the life, so not any more expensive in the long run; in fact, maybe cheaper.

They do seem to last a very long time. That could be a mitigating factor in a purchasing decision. But, I'm content to wait until a very good sale comes along. Plus, I just picked up a doz sets of EJ16's at guitar ctr for really cheap - so I'm stocked for a while.

MikeMcKee 12-05-2017 10:14 AM

Well, I'm primarily an Elixir user. In fact, I have never liked or used D'Addario PB's. But, a few months ago I decided to give the NiBr a go, and I am totally smitten with them. I have them on several guitars, and have not been disappointed at all. Great strings, and do seem to have a nice life to them.

Al Acuff 12-05-2017 10:21 AM

Nickel Bronze Acoustic strings sound amazing on my old J45. On my other acoustic guitars I prefer phosphor bronze or 80/20. On the J45 the Nickel Bronze Acoustics just sound right.

FWIW I think you have to try these on a guitar to see whether they're a good match for the instrument. You can't really predict that based on size, type, or brand of guitar.

Photojeep 12-05-2017 10:27 AM

I put a set on my Gibson J15 and liked them so much I will be trying them on my other guitars. I just got an Ibanez AW hog dread that I'm thinking could sound pretty good with them.

Best,
PJ

Looburst 12-05-2017 10:31 AM

Yep, my primary string of choice. NBs are very well balanced and like many D'Addario strings, you can count on them for a consistent sound.

madhat 12-05-2017 10:44 AM

Agree. Good strings- I dig em.
:guitar:
madhat.

Jeff Scott 12-05-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drplayer (Post 5558463)

Are you saying that these strings will last 6-8 years, on average?

So far, I've had my Martin SP7100 strings on my custom 000/OM-18 for over two years and they still sound excellent, to me.

Guest 728 12-05-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drplayer (Post 5558436)
, I've tried them on a few other guitars too and they were just okay, but for whatever reason--at least to my ear--they really shine on small bodied all-hogs.

I feel the same way about Martin Retros. Good on some spruce tops, but great on hogtops!!

drplayer 12-05-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Scott (Post 5558610)
Are you saying that these strings will last 6-8 years, on average?

:lol: Don't know, and don't know if I have enough years left to find out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Scott (Post 5558610)
So far, I've had my Martin SP7100 strings on my custom 000/OM-18 for over two years and they still sound excellent, to me.

Might be time to consult with others...;)

vindibona1 12-05-2017 11:17 AM

I've currently got them on my 1981 MIJ Epiphone and they sound very good on that guitar. They have a markedly different tonality than PB's for sure. There are a number of vids on YouTube comparing these strings to others and in every one there is a demonstrable difference that NB's bring.

That being said, there is no one set of strings that is best for every guitar. In fact, I've done extensive testing over the past year and can say that every guitar has a set of strings that will optimize it's sound. There is no substitute for testing every guitar if you want the best sound from it.

For those who think their guitar might have a little something extra to give, NB's are definitely worth a try. Yeah, they are a little pricey and I don't think I'll be ordering any more, but for some they might be the ticket.