The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What "PA" system are you solo guys lugging around? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274302)

MikeVB 11-30-2012 11:19 AM

What "PA" system are you solo guys lugging around?

I usually play in a duet. But my partner isn't interested in playing out as much as I'd like, so I'm going to try and book a few solo shows after the Holidays. If it goes well, I'll try to play as much as I can book (not easy around here lately - many more players than gigs).

Currently I own two QSC K12 mains, a Presonus SL 16.0.2, and a Fishman Loudbox Mini for a mix monitor. It's not much and sounds great, but it's tiring enough to load in/out for two middle-aged fat guys for $75 each on a good night around here. So, it'd definitely be less fun all alone.

Thought about trading the K12 speakers for a couple of K10s or maybe equivalent Yamaha 10" speakers which have a little higher wattage I think.

I'm just curious what the rest of you solo players/singers are using for PA's when you have to bring your own.

I'm attracted to the simplicity of the Bose idea and the similar but less expensive offerings from Fishman, etc. But it wouldn't work for me, because a couple times a years we run a full bluegrass band outdoors. Plus, I've been spoiled by how good my set up does actually sound.

Tried to wait out the new Mackie Ipad mixer last Spring/Summer, but finally gave up on them ever actually releasing it and bought the Presonus.

So what are you guys hauling around solo?

royd 11-30-2012 11:38 AM

I have a fishman soloamp. I sold my big PA this year as I almost never used it and didn't want to anyway.

it sounds as if your system is both very good and very flexible. for a small gig, why not bring just one K12 and the mixer? I forget what is on the back of the QSC... you might even be able to get away with no mixer for a solo thing.

El Conquistador 11-30-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pater Familias (Post 3260775)
So what are you guys hauling around solo?

At 64, I am a true "1 trip from the car" guy. I, like Royd, also am whoely satisfied with the Fishman SoloAmp (220) so that is what I would recomend for your solo gigs.

But, if you would have to sell some current gear that you think you will need later to afford the SoloAmp, I would agree with Royd on just one QSC and your mixer. It will require more than 1 trip and I have found parking anywhere near the gig to be especially difficult during the Xmas rush.

Steve

GmanJeff 11-30-2012 12:00 PM

+1 on the SoloAmp. Keep your other PA for larger gigs; buy the SA-220 used or as B-stock if you're trying to minimize expense. It's difficult to beat for convenience.

Uncle Pauhana 11-30-2012 12:11 PM

Since you're already thinking of trading your K12s for K10s… I would say don't underestimate the K8s. I have a friend who uses them with acoustic guitar and vocals and they sound great, even with dropped tunings. Traded in his big Mackies and never looked back.

knuckle 11-30-2012 12:12 PM

x2
http://www.ezprogear.com/media/catal.../w/kw153-1.jpg

x2
http://www.soundbroker.com/dynImage/?listingPicid=45805

http://www.tonysmusicbox.ca/ftpsite/...tures/sl16.jpg

Drum set

1 acoustic, 2 resonators

1 bass, 1 upright bass, 40 lb box of chords

1 drum set.

About 20 trips back and forth to 3 vehicles.

MODELL 11-30-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royd (Post 3260793)
I have a fishman soloamp. I sold my big PA this year as I almost never used it and didn't want to anyway.

it sounds as if your system is both very good and very flexible. for a small gig, why not bring just one K12 and the mixer? I forget what is on the back of the QSC... you might even be able to get away with no mixer for a solo thing.

+1 for this suggestion, I don't even think you would need the Fishman Mini for a monitor.

ljguitar 11-30-2012 01:23 PM

Hi Pater...

Not much lugging for me (us).

Simple 12 input (8 XLR) 1600 watt powered mixer with one or two 12inch two way Community cabinets. We fly the speaker(s) above and behind us with the woofer(s) 6-8 feet off the ground...no need for monitors.

At least half of the time we go sans PA and just bring our stage amps.

MikeVB 11-30-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GmanJeff (Post 3260820)
+1 on the SoloAmp. Keep your other PA for larger gigs; buy the SA-220 used or as B-stock if you're trying to minimize expense. It's difficult to beat for convenience.

Is the SoloAmp loud enough to play in a bar over drunks?

Another question regarding speakers like the QSCs...do they make stands with bases that are secure but not tripod style? When you're shoved into a small place those **** legs are just drunk trip-mines.

krisls 11-30-2012 01:42 PM

For smaller shows I use a Roland AC60 on a single stand. PA is a Yamaha EMX512sc with a pair of Quest 250's, stands etc which all fits on a collapsible little hand trolley. One trip is good.

I've used the Fishman and it's a pretty nice setup. Also like the QSC K8's for acoustic guitar/vocal.

Kris

williejohnson 11-30-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pater Familias (Post 3260928)
Is the SoloAmp loud enough to play in a bar over drunks?

Yes, it cuts through very well

Bobby1note 11-30-2012 02:22 PM

For me, the choice varies, depending on how much power and coverage I need. My lightest set-up, would be my AER Compact 60/2, a mic, and a guitar. If I'm doing a duo gig, then I bring a small mixer Soundcraft Notepad 124FX or an EFX-8.

If I need more power/better coverage, I'll bring along a Yorkville NX55p (or two), and possibly a reasonably compact sub or two (Yorkville LS-720p's), and an Allen & Heath Mixwiz3 16;2 (if we're mic'ing drums), I might also bring a few extra NX55p's monitors.

For the big stuff/ outdoors especially, four Yorkville EF500PB's and a pair of LS801P subs, a pair of Yorkville U15P's for sidefill, up to 8 NX55P's as monitors, and a 24 channel mixer, either my Allen & Heath GL-2400-24, or my PreSonus StudioLive 24.

alohachris 11-30-2012 03:10 PM

Aloha Pater!

Aloha Pater,

My LIVE rig has been the same for many years now. For solo gigs, I bring my four-space Odyssey BR-418-rack bag filled with a Pendulum SPS-1 preamp, TC M-2000 FX unit, & Parasound 2125 power amp.

These are all connected inside the rack bag, which has onboard wheels & a sturdy handle too. I roll it in, put it on a table or chair, unzip both ends, connect cables & the module to the speaker(s), instrument & vocal mic & that's it. An easy schlepp & set up. It's not "all that heavy stuff." I'm almost 65 & wouldn't try to lift anything if I couldn't do it easily.

Although I usually bring both speakers to all gigs, for smaller gigs or stages, I bring just one of my custom Daedalus Koa 803's (the most efficient 8" PA speakers ever made, IMO - two easily fill an auditorium). Easy to schlepp & lift at 41 lbs. & monitor-shaped. I put the 803's up on very light Proel speaker stands. Then I add a lightweight vocal mic stand & a guitar, ukulele or two & I'm there.

One trip to/from the car using a fold-up cart that fits in my trunk with the rest.

Obviously NOT the ease of a Soloamp. But not as limited (for my ears & gigs) either.

The gear I bring totally depends on the gig at hand.

I'd just take one of your 12's & a small A&H ZED or Soundcraft FX series mixer to your smaller solo gigs, both for larger ones - depending on the venue. One 12" QSC sounds better than a Soloamp in more kinds of spaces to my ears, Pater. Two 12's will sound MUCH BETTER w/ better coverage.

So hoist that puppy, Pater! OR get a kid to help put it up on a stand - what I often do. Leave the Loudbox @ home. You rarely need a monitor for small solo gigs, IME. Quality PA speakers work better than amps for solo.

All the best!

alohachris

PS: MY full rig is listed here on page 5. Scroll down to it:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...t=60160&page=5

Ghostpicker 11-30-2012 03:15 PM

+1 on the Fishman SA200 solo amp. Best piece of equipment I ever bought. Throw in a LR Baggs Venue DI and you've got a really sweet sound. (The Fishman Aura Spectrum DI is also very nice)

drive-south 11-30-2012 03:44 PM

Shoulda kept the RA400. I wish I bought it from you.