The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Countertops: Granite vs. Corian vs. Quartz (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111233)

barkley_01007 11-06-2007 03:11 PM

Countertops: Granite vs. Corian vs. Quartz

So we're looking to replace our kitchen countertops and I need some input. We love the look of granite, but from what I've heard, there's a need to constantly reseal it or risk staining & scratching plus we've got an island with a 12" unsupported overhang and from what I understand, granite would need to be supported. Corian's a more economical route, but also prone to staining. So that left me standing in front of the quartz/polymer tops (DuPont Zodiaq), which priced between corian and granite (about $70 sq. ft installed), seems to be pretty impervious to direct heat, scratching, cracking and staining. Plus they are supposedly strong enough to support a 12" overhang.

So my question to you all is: does anyone have any different experiences with granite and corian that what I've been told and does anyone here have the quartz/polymer countertops? If so what's your experience been?

Thanks in advance....

Chazmo 11-06-2007 03:25 PM

Well, I think you are overstating the situation on the granite, but yeah there's risk of staining and scratching. If you like a dark color, less so.

kerrinsdad 11-06-2007 03:53 PM

we opted for Zodiac about 5 yrs. ago for our countertops. love it...still looks great. busy kitchen w/ 2 kids and frequently a whole soccer team cleaning up. no stains or discolorations. one small chip. not sure a bout the overhang thing....

vti814ce 11-06-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazmo (Post 1302486)
Well, I think you are overstating the situation on the granite, but yeah there's risk of staining and scratching. If you like a dark color, less so.

True, second that! Granite is my choice at home as well. You almost have to try to scratch the new granite countertops and besides, I use a cutting board mostly anyway. Go with the granite in my opinion.

Sammy

SteveS 11-06-2007 04:01 PM

Go granite. Seal it every year. Support that overhang and you'll love it.
Stains may or may not show up.
If you choose a nice piece that is irregular, a stain would never be noticed except by you.

vti814ce 11-06-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 1302512)
Go granite. Seal it every year. Support that overhang and you'll love it.
Stains may or may not show up.
If you choose a nice piece that is irregular, a stain would never be noticed except by you.

True, I love my counters and Really, Im pretty neat but I dont see a problem. Like Steve said, many of the granite counters would be hard presses to show or be able identify a stain vs. natural marbling in the colors and form. It hides alot...Go with the Granite.

Sammy

Herb Hunter 11-06-2007 04:09 PM

Consistent with what we had been told about granite, we had no stains on the yellow/beige granite countertops we chose for our previous house. Granite enhances the resale value of a house more than the engineered tops.

Joe Peel 11-06-2007 04:42 PM

Counter Top

I replaced my counter tops 2 years ago with Granite. They look great, wear well, and if you eventually sell you home, it will pay for itself. Every six months or so you will need to apply sealer, that will keep it from staining. We paid $10K for the counters and feel it was worth it.

Stixx 11-06-2007 04:46 PM

I went with a product called silestone. It is granite but suspended in a matrix of epoxy that is less maintenance than actual granite. Stay away from dark colors if you go this route. I didn't . I regret that part. The lighter color I contrasted on the Island worked out splendid.

Devin 11-06-2007 05:13 PM

We have granite in the ktichen and in the bathroom. Very nice surface. I would support your overhang and use granite. We have a huge island overhang and it is supported creatively. It looks nice and adds value.

1 more vote for granite...

- Devin

kev2225 11-06-2007 05:35 PM

We just put Dupont Zodiac (quartz) in our kitchen this past summer and love it. We looked into all the options just like you, but didn't want to have to worry about the sealing and staining with granite. There's a HUGE variety of colors to choose from too, and they all look great. It wasn't even a cost issue to be honest, I just liked the appearance and maintenance free aspect of it more.

barkley_01007 11-07-2007 12:00 PM

Wow, well people seem to love their granite!

JasonA 11-07-2007 01:11 PM

Silestone is quartz, like Zodiac and others. That's what we chose, but our installer gave us a huge delay AFTER we had ripped up our old countertops, so we cancelled and went with granite. Granite was actually significantly cheaper (it varies hugely with supplier and installer). You do have to add supports for a big overhang. We got some nice decorative supports that matched the cabinet they were being place on. It's been a couple years now... no complaints!

Chicago Sandy 11-07-2007 01:17 PM

Engineered stone is a nice compromise. As to Corian, stains can be buffed out. We still have the same 25-yr-old white Formica in our kitchen as when we moved in---it does stain, but not if you wipe spills right up and use hot pads and cutting boards. Plain as an Amish dress but cheap and fairly durable. If Lotto Fairy came to visit and I decided not to buy a new place, I'd go with granite or engineered stone in the kitchen and either stay with the cultured marble we have in our bath vanity (looks as good as the day we got it) or go with Corian if we were to ditch the downstairs pedestal sink in favor of a vanity--it wears a lot longer in a bathroom than in a kitchen.

Stixx 11-07-2007 01:25 PM

Silestone was cheaper per square foot than granite at the time I used it , that must have changed . I would still use it over granite because of the lower maintenance.