The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Installed a JJB Prestige 330 in my Martin dread (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460239)

C.F. Angee 02-17-2017 06:53 AM

Installed a JJB Prestige 330 in my Martin dread

I am an analog guy in a digital world. And this is my endorsement of the Prestige 330 passive pickup.

Despite my oppositions to electronics, open mics and occasional large gatherings made me realize that a pickup in my guitar was just a tool like any other. And it needn't intrude on my acoustic tone or aesthetics.

After lots of reading here and at the UMGF, I decided that the K&K Mini was just what the doctor ordered. I also decided that the doctor was in cahoots with big pharma or something, because the Prestige 330 by JJB Electronics was the same product -- like a generic drug.

So for $50 I acquired the Prestige 330, and for $40 a local shop installed it in my Martin MMV (the Guitar Center custom: D-28 woods and finishes with 15-series bracing and a bolt-on neck). So, $90 down.

Last night, in the few minutes I had to play with it, I was thrilled. Running straight from that passive pickup to a Marshall amp I borrowed from a friend, the sound was natural, warm, and full. I had to re-learn the idea of analyzing guitar sounds, and not getting blown away by pure volume. But at the end of the day I still have a classic looking dread, I didn't spend a lot, and I feel very good about the sound I am likely to get at an open mic next Monday.

I know I may want to drop another $75 to $100 on a preamp like one would get for the K&K Mini, but I won't do that until I need to.

Three cheers for JJB Electronics doing whatever voodoo they do to make an excellent pickup for kind of silly-inexpensive.

Neil K Walk 02-17-2017 06:58 AM

Congratulations! I put a JJB 330 in my D-16GT all on my own. I wasn't that difficult. I also put a K&K PWM in my OM-03R. To my ear, the K&K sounds a bit stronger that the JJB. YMMV.

C.F. Angee 02-17-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 5234993)
I put a JJB 330 in my D-16GT all on my own.

Dude. You're the man.

I've built a deck, a stone patio, and furniture. But the idea of dropping a drill onto my Martin? No sir. No sir. Not enough courage in me.

Jambi 02-17-2017 08:02 AM

Jjb was a pleasant surprise in my yammie, great addition to my budget friendly guitar setup. Congrats.

Pippin 02-17-2017 08:10 AM

Love my Prestige 330!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=309682

midwinter 02-17-2017 09:19 AM

I run 330s or 220s in all my instruments these days.

kcnbys 02-17-2017 09:20 AM

I've used the JJB 330 in several guitars, and have always been more than pleased. It's not identical to the K&K, but it is basically the same thing, and IMO there is not a $50 difference. Both are great pickups, but Jesse has a great thing going with JJB. Glad you're happy with it!

chitz 02-17-2017 11:12 AM

If you're getting a good sound already, don't bother with a preamp.

I find a pre makes little difference when using an acoustic amp.

martingitdave 02-17-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitz (Post 5235283)
If you're getting a good sound already, don't bother with a preamp.

I find a pre makes little difference when using an acoustic amp.

This is true, for many acoustic amps, especially at home. However, not all PA systems will impedance match with JBB or K&K. So, the preamp/DI can be very useful to have for those situations. And, some folks will get their preamp/DI with all sorts of added features and effects, making it just a bit more useful.

kaos 02-17-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 5235316)
This is true, for many acoustic amps, especially at home. However, not all PA systems will impedance match with JBB or K&K. So, the preamp/DI can be very useful to have for those situations. And, some folks will get their preamp/DI with all sorts of added features and effects, making it just a bit more useful.

This ^^^^^.

To the OP: Glad it works well with your amp. But a preamp (even a cheap used boss ge-7) in your gig bag is a good idea, so when the day rolls around and you need it ... you got one. Look for one that has 1 megaohm input impedance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Neil K Walk 02-17-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.F. Angee (Post 5235002)
Dude. You're the man.

I've built a deck, a stone patio, and furniture. But the idea of dropping a drill onto my Martin? No sir. No sir. Not enough courage in me.

If you've built furniture you have the skills. It wasn't that hard.

I also installed a K&K Pure Western mini in my Larrivee OM-03R and the process was virtually identical. The difference being that I had to ream out the endpin (Larrivee installs oversized endpins that can be removed to accommodate a 1/4 jack) and the directions told me to glue on the transducers 1 at a time. If I had to do it over again, I'd have just made a jig to install all 3 transducers simultaneously as I did with the K&K - just to remove any ambiguity and to reduce the number of chances I could inadvertently glue my fingers to the bridge plate.

C.F. Angee 02-17-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaos (Post 5235399)
...even a cheap used boss ge-7... 1 megaohm input impedance....

Thanks for the direction!

jomaynor 02-17-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.F. Angee (Post 5234988)

I know I may want to drop another $75 to $100 on a preamp like one would get for the K&K Mini, but I won't do that until I need to.

Three cheers for JJB Electronics doing whatever voodoo they do to make an excellent pickup for kind of silly-inexpensive.

This ART Tube MP $40 preamp/DI box was recommended to me by a well-regarded luthier, who primarily uses them to go with passive soundboard systems like yours. I bought one, and it's money well spent.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...dio-mic-preamp

Wooly 02-17-2017 06:20 PM

Nothing wrong with JJB pickups. I have the 330 in my Alvarez parlor and it's louder than the K&K's that I have in the other two guitars. That's not to say that the Alvarez may be more resonant but the JJB holds it's own.

The after sale service from Jessie is above and beyond.:up: