The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Blackbird composite guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299673)

michaelht1 06-18-2013 09:52 AM

Blackbird composite guitar

Any comments on the Blackbird Super OM, I am considering ordering one, the reviews sound great but than most reviews seem to go that way, has anyone tried a Super om and what were your thoughts or concerns.

Doubleneck 06-18-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelht1 (Post 3513716)
Any comments on the Blackbird Super OM, I am considering ordering one, the reviews sound great but than most reviews seem to go that way, has anyone tried a Super om and what were your thoughts or concerns.

What style of guitar do you play?

michaelht1 06-18-2013 01:45 PM

Blackbird

I honestly can't tell you what style, in the learning phase, but bluegrass, country is what I lean towards.
I have a very nice guitar but scared to death of damaging it (Charis) I wanted something to celebrate my retirement and wanted a nice guitar (Charis) but its just not comfortable worrying about it, so I figured with a background in composites I might try one of those and just enjoy the playing and learning process.

Alexander Coe 06-18-2013 03:18 PM

A general observation: They are awesome guitars from an excellent company.

Doubleneck 06-18-2013 03:32 PM

To me the Blackbird OM is more of a finger style guitar vs Bluegrass, however, I have very limited experience with it. To me Bluegrass would be more CA or Rainsong. The Dred or jumbo models.

Jim K 06-18-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelht1 (Post 3513993)
I honestly can't tell you what style, in the learning phase, but bluegrass, country is what I lean towards.
I have a very nice guitar but scared to death of damaging it (Charis) I wanted something to celebrate my retirement and wanted a nice guitar (Charis) but its just not comfortable worrying about it, so I figured with a background in composites I might try one of those and just enjoy the playing and learning process.

If your target style of music is "bluegrass, country", . . . that would suggest a dreadnought body style guitar.

The Blackbird Super OM is an excellent guitar, but its tone (while very good), will not be a stereotypical bluegrass/country style tone. Also, unless you find a used Super OM, you are looking at a higher price range for a carbon guitar.

Since you state that if you are still "in the learning phase", . . . you might want to consider a lower price range carbon guitar as a compliment to your Charis, which I think is a higher price range.

So you might want to consider a RainSong Dreadnought guitar, with the Studio fine texture finish. The "Studio" guitars are RainSong's lower price range guitars, . . . but which essentially only differ from the higher price RainSongs based on the finish (i.e. fine texture, not glossy). Note however, the fine texture finish, while very durable, can result in some scratchy noise if your playing style brushes the guitar top. Many have reported that installing an aftermarket pickguard will eliminate the noise issue.

michaelht1 06-18-2013 04:13 PM

Blackbird

Thank you for your comments, I will look at the Rainsong as well.

mchalebk 06-19-2013 08:03 AM

it you want to play Bluegrass and don't have a problem with dreadnoughts, you should try to take a look at one of the CA dreads. They have gone by different names through the years, but there are two basic models: vintage and standard. The vintage voiced versions are intended to sound somewhat like an old Martin dread. The standard version is more modern sounding. I would think that either would be great for Bluegrass and these are the CF guitars that sound most like wood guitars (if that's something you care about).

The present CA dreads are called Legacy. There are some other names you might find on older models (for instance, mine is called Vintage Performer).

Finger Stylish 06-19-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelht1 (Post 3514161)
Thank you for your comments, I will look at the Rainsong as well.

I Have a Rainsong H DR1000 N2 (dred) and I play Bluegrass and Fingerstyle guitar and I can tell you that the carbon dred is good with either style and changing strings for a style preference works well with these Carbon guitars.

michaelht1 06-19-2013 09:43 AM

Blackbird

Thank you Brain and Vance, will look into the CA guitar and Rainsong as suggested

LionEyes 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

I own a Blackbird and a couple Rainsongs. I would go with a Rainsong, check out MacNichol Guitars, they offer free set up's and bone nut with the purchase of a guitar, and they offer several brands. They also have a forum with lots of good info and video/guitar sound clips.

BongoSTL 06-20-2013 09:28 AM

I love my super om.very responsive, very resonate, and great for fingerpicking and strumming. I'm not a blue grass guy, so I can't tell you about that...But I can tell you it is a big step up from the rainsong / ca that I've played..

LionEyes 06-20-2013 04:12 PM

I had to put a bigger low E string (.56) on my super om, to get the bass response
where I thought it should be. Strummed and picked it sounds ok. I think it could use more volume. The body style is great, it really fits in my lap nice.

BongoSTL 06-20-2013 05:07 PM

More volume? ? ? Do you have one of the original ones, not the 2.0? Because mine is no question louder than my Santa Cruz Dred...

LionEyes 06-20-2013 11:25 PM

I've got one of the new BB. I just A/B'd mine with a Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
and a '66 Martin D28, and they both had more headroom. I'm using John Pearse light gauge
80/20 phosphor bronze strings on all 3.