The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Martin," Zac Brown Band cover (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464113)

Glennwillow 03-22-2017 06:07 PM

"Martin," Zac Brown Band cover

This song has shown up a few times on the AGF as being a song that seems to touch people about their old Martin guitars. So, since I have an old Martin guitar, I decided I would come up with a rendition of this song.

The guitar is a 1967 Martin D-35, now 50 years old. My dad gave me this guitar when I turned 21. The guitar meant a great deal to both of us, and now that my father has passed away, it means even more.

The strings on the guitar are John Pearse PB, light gauge. I know real flat pickers are supposed to use medium strings, but I am not a real flat picker and besides, medium strings just kill my arthritic finger joints, so I have to make do with light gauge strings.

The flat pick is a Charmed Life faux tortoise teardrop, I believe 1.15 mm thick. I really like this pick a lot.

So here is the song. Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

islandguitar 03-22-2017 09:45 PM

Wonderful job, Glenn! Really enjoyed that song.....that '67 looks in amazing condition! What a great and special guitar.
Best,
Fred

Glennwillow 03-22-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5278293)
Wonderful job, Glenn! Really enjoyed that song.....that '67 looks in amazing condition! What a great and special guitar.
Best,
Fred

Thank you Fred! Yes, the old D-35 is in pretty good shape for its age. It has a few nicks and dings and in the video it looks like it's in more pristine condition than it really is because I recently cleaned and polished it. Still, considering it's age, it really is in good shape. No cracks, no big issues. It's been refretted a couple of times.

Thanks for listening and for your comments!

- Glenn

Charmed Life Picks 03-22-2017 11:25 PM

She's a beauty, Glenn. You have sure taken care of her. Even the classic lifting of the original pickguard is much less than you'd normally find in a guitar that age.

Beautiful song, beautiful performance....

scott

Glennwillow 03-22-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 5278357)
She's a beauty, Glenn. You have sure taken care of her. Even the classic lifting of the original pickguard is much less than you'd normally find in a guitar that age.

Beautiful song, beautiful performance....

scott

Thank you Scott -- for listening and for your thoughts.

Is the pick guard lifting? I never noticed! I guess I should look! :lol::lol::roll: Sometimes I am so blissfully unaware of things like this! :D

- Glenn

B-Nads 03-23-2017 05:08 AM

Very cool, Glenn - that guitar sounds amazing too.

Glennwillow 03-23-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Nads (Post 5278492)
Very cool, Glenn - that guitar sounds amazing too.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for listening and commenting. Thanks for noticing the guitar's sonic character. I also think that the guitar has a good sound. It has changed over the years so that it's somewhat brighter than it was when new. By using the John Pearse PB strings, it tends to mellow some of that brightness out a little. And the choice of pick helps greatly.

- Glenn

B-Nads 03-23-2017 08:53 AM

Have you ever tried Monels on it?

Mr. Paul 03-23-2017 09:31 AM

Nice job on a very good song I'd not heard before!

Jeremy 03-23-2017 09:56 AM

I caught this in my YouTube subscriptions feed last night. Right away I noticed how much I liked how the guitar sounded. Nice performance, Glenn.

Glennwillow 03-23-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Nads (Post 5278735)
Have you ever tried Monels on it?

Hi Brent,

Yes, I have been using Monels pretty regularly -- Martin Retro. I bought 6 sets a while ago. They work well, but I wanted a change of pace. I like the John Pearse, even better. It's as if I got a new guitar when I put on the JP strings. However, I will certainly use up the remaining sets of Retros that I have. :)

Thanks for your thoughts,
- Glenn

Glennwillow 03-23-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 5278798)
Nice job on a very good song I'd not heard before!

Thank you Paul. Yes, I don't imagine that the song is all that well known, since it's a more modern song, not something that's been around for 3 or 4 decades.

Thank you!
- Glenn

Glennwillow 03-23-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 5278837)
I caught this in my YouTube subscriptions feed last night. Right away I noticed how much I liked how the guitar sounded. Nice performance, Glenn.

Well that's cool that you are subscribing to my YouTube channel, Jeremy! Thank you!

I'm really glad that you thought the guitar sounded good.

- Glenn

JakeStone 03-23-2017 01:15 PM

This was really nice Glenn ...
I always liked this song and Zac Brown ..

I learned the song a couple years ago .. too.
but I figure I can only play it on my Martin. :guitar:

Glennwillow 03-23-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5279100)
This was really nice Glenn ...
I always liked this song and Zac Brown ..

I learned the song a couple years ago .. too.
but I figure I can only play it on my Martin. :guitar:

Hi Jake,

Thanks for watching and for your comments! Yes, this song would fit you well! And I, too, figure that this song can only be played on my Martin. It actually has way more punch when played on my Gibson AJ Luthier's Choice, but how can you play a song called "Martin" on a Gibson??!! :D

-Glenn