The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Medium guage strings for an OM? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383893)

Sleestack 04-17-2015 11:22 AM

Medium guage strings for an OM?

Greetings Folks-

I have only had my OM for a couple of months and have not tried mediums on it yet. For those of you that have, do you like it? I'm just looking for a little more meat in the low end for flatpicking. Any thoughts?

Thanks

rmyAddison 04-17-2015 11:25 AM

Every one of my OM/000's is strung with 13's and tuned down 1/2 step, and I'm a flatpicker, been doing it for decades.

You will get more "low end meat", and 13's down 1/2 are about the same pressure as 12's at concert pitch. Try it, I think you'll love it........;)

Wade Hampton 04-17-2015 11:59 AM

Sleestack - I've used mediums on all the OM's and 14 fret Triple O's I've owned, and I tune them to concert pitch. They work just fine, don't hurt the guitar and definitely give you a more powerful sound.

Something else you can do to increase the bass response is to put a John Pearse armrest on your guitar. This lifts your forearm off the top and substantially increases the amount of bass response that comes from the top.

Full disclosure: I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories, but had John Pearse armrests on all my guitars long before I was given endorser status. What they do is allow the top to vibrate to its fullest. They make an audible difference in the tone of larger guitars, but on OM's and smaller body guitars they make a HUGE difference. The general rule is the smaller the guitar, the more impact the armrest has.

Here's a simple test you can use to tell whether an armrest will help you get the bass response you'd like: play a vigorous first position E chord with your forearm resting on the top. Then, while the chord is still ringing, lift your arm off.

If you can hear an audible change once your arm's off the top, and you LIKE that change, then you might want to consider getting an armrest.

Here's a picture of one on an OM:

That particular model armrest is called The Slimline, and it's the one I would select for an OM.

It's just a thought - as I wrote, I have them on all my guitars, and they really do what they're designed to do. Switching to medium gauge strings should also boost the bass response somewhat, but won't do it as dramatically as adding an armrest.

Armrests aren't for everyone, and there are those who absolutely despise the way they look. Naturally, they won't hesitate to share that opinion with you.

I use them for their indisputable tonal benefits: they really work. So it's a matter of personal preference - if you like or don't mind the look, if you put one on the guitar you'll get the tonal results that your post indicates that you want.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Nemoman 04-17-2015 12:02 PM

I use D'Addario PB Bluegrass (Medium-light) gauge on my OM and primarily flatpick on it--works well for me. A little more low end but still easier on the fingers and good treble response on the upper strings...

ghale 04-17-2015 01:48 PM

I have medium-light Ernie Ball Earthwoods on mine, the low E is a 54, and I love them. They really beef up the low end without muddying it up and the high end still sparkles. I've thought about going to full mediums but I really fine don't have the need as the tone with these is what I'm liking, no need for it to be "better". I say do it, you really have nothing to lose other than a few bucks.

jseth 04-17-2015 01:56 PM

Well, it's ALWAYS the safest bet to contact the manufacturer/builder and see what they say, but OMs should take medium gauge (13's) tuned to concert pitch without issue.

I have a Goodall Grand Concert that James made for me in 2011 (size/shape of an OM); the ONLY reason I can't put anything heavier than 12's on it is due to the redwood top. James told me that, with his spruce topped guitars, ANY model can handle 13's... from his Parlour to the Jumbo...

Guest 1928 04-17-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack (Post 4455914)
...I'm just looking for a little more meat in the low end for flatpicking. Any thoughts?...

I think mediums will help immensely.

Andy Howell 04-17-2015 04:18 PM

A half decent OM will take mediums with no trouble. Much fuller sound.

Sleestack 04-17-2015 06:49 PM

Thanks for the advice y'all! I'll string up some mediums tonight and get back to you with the results.

gruuv 04-17-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack (Post 4456615)
Thanks for the advice y'all! I'll string up some mediums tonight and get back to you with the results.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I dropped a set of mediums on my OMJM last week for the first time. It has made a tremendous difference in tone, both in beefing up the low end and adding some more girth and roundness to the trebles which I felt were a bit thin with lights.

Sleestack 04-17-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruuv (Post 4456669)
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I dropped a set of mediums on my OMJM last week for the first time. It has made a tremendous difference in tone, both in beefing up the low end and adding some more girth and roundness to the trebles which I felt were a bit thin with lights.

Have you tried them on the santa Cruz yet?

sayheyjeff 04-17-2015 07:54 PM

I much prefer mediums and use them on all but my PJ.

Jeff

donh 04-17-2015 09:28 PM

My Larrivee OM came with mediums and loved them until it didn't. Couple years in, it got all choked sounding and lacking in headroom and I eventually tried lights and it got all happy again.

Point being: try it! If it sounds good it *is* good. Until something changes.

It's all good.

Wade Hampton 04-17-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donh (Post 4456806)
My Larrivee OM came with mediums and loved them until it didn't. Couple years in, it got all choked sounding and lacking in headroom and I eventually tried lights and it got all happy again.

Point being: try it! If it sounds good it *is* good. Until something changes.

Interesting. My 1998 Larrivée OM-03W came factory stock with medium strings, too, (all Larrivée guitars did back then,) but unlike your guitar it's continued to thrive strung with mediums. It's never had anything else on it: the only change I made was going from the D'Addario medium gauge phosphor bronze strings that were put on at the factory to the John Pearse medium gauge phosphor bronze strings that I prefer.

And in case any of you might be wondering whether I know those medium D'Addario strings were factory stock for certain, yes, in fact, I do, as I picked out the guitar at the factory and was allowed to buy it and take it home.

So, short version: Don is correct, Larrivée OM's used to be strung with mediums at the factory. It's interesting that yours has changed, Don. I'm glad to say that mine has not, other than breaking in tonally. But mediums still make it sing.

Wade Hampton Miller

Dadzmad 04-17-2015 09:50 PM

agree 100% with Wade - I had a Larivee OM-2 and used 0.13's with a JP slim armrest and got a lot of sound out of a small guitar. If you can deal with the heavier string try them out. You can always drop back to a lighter gage. The armrests work for me too. I still have them on both my Kingpin and Guild S4CE. The smaller body guitars will never have the big voice of the larger guitars but a little help with heavier strings helps a lot with volume and projects the nice tone of the OM.