The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larrivee closing the Vancouver factory (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316430)

blaren 11-05-2013 10:49 AM

DOH!!!! Oopsies. That wasn't an edit.

Guest 33123 11-05-2013 10:51 AM

This is sad.

Watasha 11-05-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaren (Post 3683195)
On a sidenote...this begs the question....how can a Canadian company find it to be profitable building guitars in the USA when most American guitar companies feel they can't remain prosperous unless they build guitars in Mexico or Asia????

Basically the US government (in their infinite wisdom) gives tremendous tax breaks to foreign companies. The US companies don't get these tax breaks. I'm sure there are other factors at play here as well but this is a major factor in this issue. This is a big issue in the auto industry. All that said, I'm sad to hear this about Larrivee. I like to see more US jobs but hate to see those folks in Canada losing theirs. It just doesn't feel right for a Canadian company to not have any guitars built in their home country.

tiktok 11-05-2013 12:17 PM

I thought there was also a unionization attempt at the Canadian factory. That combined with more favorable US tax structure might have made it pencil out, but it's like the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn or something.

D35burst 11-05-2013 12:35 PM

Thats a shame. I had the pleasure of taking the factory tour and found it to be a great experience, everybody was very friendly. I wish them the best!!
:)

greg d 11-05-2013 12:44 PM

larivee

Maybe im wrong here but i own a do3e larivee great guitar for the money but from what i see on this and other websites larivee does not have much of a re-sale value even though i think they are great guitars.My point is how much of that is because of the country of origin?Lets face made in the usa does carry some weight with folks.

fazool 11-05-2013 01:01 PM

I have an idea:

I have an idea:

When Larrivee moves to the US, why don't we move a Mexican factory to Canada.

Yggdrasil 11-05-2013 01:09 PM

Bummer!
Glad I have my walnut Vancouver P-01!

jibberibber 11-05-2013 01:20 PM

This is very sad news. I had the pleasure of touring the Vancouver shop recently, and I got the feel that most of the team there had been around a long time and really found pride and meaning in their work. I hope they manage to transition into something else that suits them.

I wonder if this is going to impact their sales in Canada, since I believe their Canadian roots help attract the interest of a lot of players up here.

On the plus side, I suddenly find my 1998 Vancouver built OM-10 even more special, and will now go and play it.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 11-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg d (Post 3683330)
Maybe im wrong here but i own a do3e larivee great guitar for the money but from what i see on this and other websites larivee does not have much of a re-sale value even though i think they are great guitars.My point is how much of that is because of the country of origin?Lets face made in the usa does carry some weight with folks.

Absolutely! BTW, they have been building the higher end guitars in the US for years, wearing the "Made in the USA" label across the board can only help the brand.

Halcyon/Tinker 11-05-2013 02:29 PM

In point of fact, it must be noted that I was not invited to go to Cali, not that I would have.

For the last two years I have only been there part time. During a layoff where my hours were cut from 40 to 16 a week, I started the Halcyon brand to try to make my rent (there are a host of other reasons as well, but)...and it did.

When we were called back full time, I remained on part time hours. We were slowly transitioning QC and production control to a new member (who was invited) with the right attitude and aptitude. It was all going quite swimmingly in fact.

Interestingly enough, yesterday was my 17 year anniversary there...

It's been a crazy ride...

muzz76 11-05-2013 02:30 PM

Sad indeed. I never quite took to their tone but the impact Jean had on Canadian luthiery can't be understated.

PTC Bernie 11-05-2013 02:32 PM

Moving TO California?!!!!

I think this is the first I've heard of a company moving into California in a very long time. Even with the issues in BC there are other places in the US with much friendlier business climates. :confused:

Halcyon/Tinker 11-05-2013 02:34 PM

As Ted pointed out, they've already been there for about a decade...

Glennwillow 11-05-2013 02:36 PM

Well, I am sorry for the Larrivee folks in Vancouver. What a shame.

- Glenn