The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Grandma's got game... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494643)

Steve DeRosa 12-29-2017 10:52 PM

Grandma's got game...

For all the young dudes who think they're hot pickers:

jseth 12-30-2017 12:13 AM

Perfect! Just goes to show...

"You can't judge a book by looking at the cover..."

Steel and wood 12-30-2017 06:04 AM

Yep, she's got some chops alright!

dave42 12-30-2017 06:24 AM

Description says, "This is Paula Jo Taylor in Nashville, TN. " I think I saw her when I was there in 2014... playing in a band that, if I remember correctly 2-3 of her daughters were in. All very good!

HHP 12-30-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave42 (Post 5585134)
Description says, "This is Paula Jo Taylor in Nashville, TN. " I think I saw her when I was there in 2014... playing in a band that, if I remember correctly 2-3 of her daughters were in. All very good!

This is why I will never live in Nashville. Even the convenience store clerks are monster players.

Bob Womack 12-30-2017 06:49 AM

That was a pleasant surprise to my wife and me!

Bob

ifret 12-30-2017 07:18 AM

Cool to see....she rocks!

KevWind 12-30-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5585139)
This is why I will never live in Nashville. Even the convenience store clerks are monster players.

Like the man said : There's 1352 that'll play twice as better than I will , and taking into account that was 67 it must now be oh say between 3k and 4k

Dru Edwards 12-30-2017 08:28 AM

Some great playing! Made me smile. I'd like to hear her play an SG :).

Silly Moustache 12-30-2017 08:36 AM

Why o why o why should the fact that a mature person should be able to pick guitar well?
Aren't we being a little sexist?

We kn ow from earlier polls that there is a majority of blokes here and that many of us are past our sell by date, but what on earth makes us think that we old males have the inside edge on playing instruments?

I'm just getting started !

KevWind 12-30-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5585237)
Why o why o why should the fact that a mature person should be able to pick guitar well?
Aren't we being a little sexist?

That would be ageist not sexist.

Quote:

We kn ow from earlier polls that there is a majority of blokes here and that many of us are past our sell by date, but what on earth makes us think that we old males have the inside edge on playing instruments?
Did somebody say that ? I'm not sure that simply observing that a 50 + year old women sittin' rippen' and chicken pickin' on an electric git, is not that common ....... is being negative...
Now maybe it's the norm in the UK but not in the colonies, and BTW doesn't "blokes" refer to males :confused: is that also being sexist ?

Darwin 12-30-2017 09:45 AM

Yep, she can pick with the best! -- Darwin

Bob Womack 12-30-2017 09:58 AM

To speak technically, in the experience of most folks I know, the demographic of female baby-boomer guitar shredders is tiny when compared to the total population. As a result, it is always pleasant to experience someone of that demographic playing that well.

Now, how can that be construed as ageist or sexist or offensive?

Bob

Steve DeRosa 12-30-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5585336)
To speak technically, in the experience of most folks I know, the demographic of female baby-boomer guitar shredders is tiny when compared to the total population. As a result, it is always pleasant to experience someone of that demographic playing that well.

Now, how can that be construed as ageist or sexist or offensive?

FYI I'm married to a baby-boomer guitarist (more an all-around rhythm player than a shredder, by her choice) - been my bandmate on-and-off for the last 50 years...

My thoughts exactly, Bob... :up:

Dru Edwards 12-30-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5585237)
<<snippet>>

Hi Moustache, when I walk into a guitar store the majority of people I see playing the guitars are male. It's refreshing when I see a female pick one up, regardless of talent level. I'm not speaking for others but for me it's not that males have the edge but that it's far more common to see. Nothing to do with men being better at it than women.