The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What are FRAPS? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47731)

Steveh427 05-30-2004 01:18 PM

What are FRAPS?

I was reading up on Neil Young's setup and he says he uses stereo FRAPS in each acoustic guitar. Does anyone know what he's talking about?????

I'm considering getting a new Martin D-41 and am currently looking into a good pick up system. (I'm looking at the Highlander or the Element right now)

Chicago Sandy 05-30-2004 01:33 PM

A FRAP is an older-generation "contact pickup" soundboard transducer. Back in the day, you could mount them either internally or extenally with special double-sided tape or putty.

Steveh427 05-30-2004 01:53 PM

I think I know what you're talking about. Kinda like the old Barcus-Berry stick-on pups back in the 70s?

Chicago Sandy 05-30-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveh427
I think I know what you're talking about. Kinda like the old Barcus-Berry stick-on pups back in the 70s?

Exactly--it was the rival brand to the Barcus-Berry "Hot Dot" and the predecessor to Barcus-Berry's little "sugarcube" model with 1/8" jack.

Randal_S 05-30-2004 02:36 PM

Here's an intersting article (although a few years old) which was written by Rick Turner, who visits this forum occasionally. at least, I think it's the same Rick Turner, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, the article mentions the FRAP system about half-way in.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues...fication.shtml

Here's a link to the Trance Audio website, which was mentioned as the modern successor to the FRAP. I've never seen one of these in the flesh, so all I can do is point you toward the website.

http://www.tranceaudio.com/

Livingston 05-30-2004 04:10 PM

The FRAP sound board transducer was the first pick up I ever purchased back in 1976. Back then, a lot of people were using the SM57 (or other dynamic mic) to amplify acoustic guitars. It was a real upgrade to install a FRAP, Barcus Berry or Bill Lawrence pick up in your guitar. You could actually move around a little instead of being glued to a mic. Helped reduce feedback too.

andrewgorny 07-23-2010 12:23 PM

I got a FRAP in a 75 D-18, a Trance Amulet in a Rainsong WS1000, and the K&K Pure Western in an 84 D-28.

The FRAP is by far the nicest soundboard transducer still, but the tone it initially gives you is very frustrating to work with. Loads of high end. I blend it with a Sunrise (the Hedges trick) to fill out the lower end of the FRAP. But whatever "woody" means to you, you will hear that.

The Amulet is great. But it also takes some dialing. I think the two sensors is overkill as well. One sensor really doles out a lot of information, so buy the Amulet and an extra setup so you can put it in another guitar. It's also VERY expensive!!!

The K&K is cheap and sounds great right out of the box. Something about its design gives you pretty decent tap tone despite being installed so close to the bridge.

If you get a soundboard transducer, be smart and do not use the rubber cement or superglue that the pickups come with. Use hot glue because it will have a permanent hold but is still malleable enough to be removed with a razor blade if you want to install the pickup in another guitar.

wood nacho 07-23-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewgorny (Post 2293768)
I got a FRAP in a 75 D-18, a Trance Amulet in a Rainsong WS1000, and the K&K Pure Western in an 84 D-28.

The FRAP is by far the nicest soundboard transducer still, but the tone it initially gives you is very frustrating to work with. Loads of high end. I blend it with a Sunrise (the Hedges trick) to fill out the lower end of the FRAP. But whatever "woody" means to you, you will hear that.

The Amulet is great. But it also takes some dialing. I think the two sensors is overkill as well. One sensor really doles out a lot of information, so buy the Amulet and an extra setup so you can put it in another guitar. It's also VERY expensive!!!

The K&K is cheap and sounds great right out of the box. Something about its design gives you pretty decent tap tone despite being installed so close to the bridge.

If you get a soundboard transducer, be smart and do not use the rubber cement or superglue that the pickups come with. Use hot glue because it will have a permanent hold but is still malleable enough to be removed with a razor blade if you want to install the pickup in another guitar.

Andrew! I've seen you videos on Youtube. Wonderful playing!

I've never heard on installing K&K SBTs with hot glue. Have you done any sound comparison between a pickup installed with the glue K&K provides and just straight hot glue?

jseth 07-23-2010 01:44 PM

I used a FRAP (flat response audio pickup) in the 70's, as well... Had a Barcus Berry, but upgraded to the FRAP... amplifying an acoustic guitar was quite an "iffy" proposition, back in the day. I had an MXR 10 band graphic eq that I would run the FRAP through - and that didn't quite cut it, but it was serviceable. I remember at one point, the other guitarist and I put our FRAPs on the soundboard of our pianist's little studio spinet, in order to have it "cut" in a full band setting... HILAIOUS reselts! We could get the piano volume loud enough, but it always sounded like it was coming from somewhere, far away; this echo-y, swimmy tone that was full of overtones and harmonics - our keyboardist would "play" with the tones and do some pretty unusual things, sonically...

I dumped the FRAP years ago, traded the MXR to a bassist for a 3 space Anvil case... kinda wish I still had it, even thoug I'm quite happy with my Fishman rig in both my 6 and 12 string guitars...

Unless you had to amplify an acoustic guitar in the late 60's / early 70's, you HAVE NO IDEA how far we've come. Granted, what's available today is not perfect, but it's all head and shoulders above what it used to be!

I think Doyle Dykes had the best take on amplfying acoustic guitars that I've heard... he said "Does it sound like my guitar, unplugged? Nope... but it is a VERY WORKABLE sound for performing..." - I think that's about the best you're gonna do, get something that you can make work for you... and almost ANYTHING works better than stuffing a Shure 565 into the soundhole through a Shure Vocal Master...!