The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   **Speaker/PA Recommendation for Acoustic Duo** (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241196)

Snakeshack 02-07-2012 03:54 PM

**Speaker/PA Recommendation for Acoustic Duo**

AGF Fam --

I'm hoping for some direction in upgrading my current PA system --- while hoping to optimize the sound of my 810CE & portability of my rig.

Currently have two passive 15" jbl's (about 15 yrs old), a peavey floor monitor, & I power the speakers with a Carvin MXR1200 / 1200 watt powered mixer.

I'm sick of lugging my HUGE jbl's to every show (29"h x 18"w x 14"d) / 60lbs!

Just trying to get a feel for where I can get the best value for new speakers --- and I was hoping on adding a Woofer to round out the low-end sound. Brands / prices / and whatever you think puts out the sickest tone!

We play medium-small sized venues / just my 810 & vocals / local bars, clubs, etc.

Just playing acoustic tunes (Classic Rock, Modern --- primarily all rhythm stuff)

Not sure if two 12" speakers w/ a single sub would do the job --- but that's where I'm seeing some of the smaller dimensions as I research.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

jhchang 02-07-2012 03:59 PM

Why do you even need a PA? For small-mid venue, Bose L1 or Fishman SA220 is your best bet!!:)

vic@leftiesonly 02-07-2012 04:38 PM

You would do really well with a pair of QSC K-12s. Lots of low end even without a sub, light and bulletproof. Very loud if you want them to be. 1000 watts (500 X2).

The K-10 is also very nice, slightly smaller but still very powerful. I use a pair of those as monitors.

They have a "deep" mode which enhances the sub bass and for vocals and acoustic guitar, you won't need a sub. Passive mixer, a single K-10 monitor and you would be good to go.

I've been gigging with K12s for three years now, running them loud, they have never let me down. Shop around, you can get them for under MAP at a lot of places.

zumaboy 02-07-2012 04:39 PM

I wouldn't even go with 12" speakers, I'd drop down to a pair of 10" powered mains like the Mackie SRM 350v2 and a small board. Don't worry about a sub, they're too dang heavy. Add a powered monitor to hear yourself. Keep it simple, you'll be surprised how good you sound...

jseth 02-07-2012 08:01 PM

Another vote for the Bose L1 Model I or II, with one sub-woofer (the B1)...

Pretty self contained and easy to transport, although my Model I Classic has a base unit that's 32#s... while the Model II's base unit is just 24#s. I bought mine used and got a good price on it, 3 years ago... nowadays, you can probably find an even better deal on either system.

No monitors needed, the sound is wonderful! Pat Metheny toured with a trio and each band member used a Bose... they are pretty much for ONE performer, optimally, but I think they'd cut well for a duo, too... The sound they produce is uncanny in the way it 'surrounds" the listener, envelopes them with sound... the QSC speakers sound good, but they are quite directional; if you're right in front of them, they are HOT. If you're off to the side, you don't hear 'em so great. With my Bose system, I hear the same sound the audience hears, and it spreads through the room, without any hotspots or directional nonsense; a couple can sit right in front of me and hold a conversation without yelling, while the folks 40' away can hear me, almost as well as I can hear myself!

They are amazing systems, and VERY different from every other "point and shoot" PA I have ever used... I play acoustic guitar (Anthem equipped) and sing through it, and I couldn't be happier! (well, except for that 32# base unit, but hey! I'm an old guy!)

They are not cheap, but they deliver the goods... I mean, what other system has sound dispersion that goes around corners?

play on.....................................>

John

chitz 02-08-2012 05:44 AM

Go lite... QSC K-10's + small mixer.

mcozma 02-08-2012 07:43 AM

I can never grow tired of recommending the Yorkville brand. They offer great PA/components. I have a YX series PA, but you may want to look at the Elite Excursion series: http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=41

kendallhadden 02-08-2012 08:30 AM

For the past 6 years I have been using the EAW FR129Z passive tops/QSC PLXamps and they have served me well but I began looking for powered speakers because of their effecientcy and weight. I tried out (in my own environment) every brand in the $1k or less category with exception of the RCF which I hear are awesome for the money. The two that it came down to was the QSC KW122 and the Yamaha DSR112. To me the Yamaha DSR112 had a better sound and the coverage area was better than any single speaker I have ever heard. Needless to say, I purchased two DSR112s and I have been extremely happy ever since. My plan was to purchase two more DSR112s until I heard that they came out with a new line that are similar to the K series QSC. They are call the DXR series and they are molded like the K's.
I would highly recommend trying out the DXR10. Dimensions are about the same between them and the K. However, if they are anything like the DSR, they will kill the K series in sound quality, coverage and max output. Give it a look.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...product_lineup

Snakeshack 02-08-2012 09:08 AM

Great Advice ---- I truly appreciate ALL the responses, & now I will start doing some homework.

It sounds like the BOSE & Q's are what everyone is recommending --- I'll make sure to give the Yamaha DXR's & even then Yorkvilles a fair look.

Do most of the models that have been mentioned have 'pole mount' ability ---typically this is the preferred method for me, as I wound't want to spend time stacking speakers, etc.

Thanks again --- and keep any additional advice coming!

I'll keep you posted on what I narrow down my options to & let everyone know the direction I take.

Snakeshack 02-08-2012 09:16 AM

Last thought.....

It sounds like the general consus for most has been that I will NOT need a Subwoofer to compliment my rig??

Yes --- we are just playing mid-small clubs/bars, & it's just a duo (guitar & vocals)

The only reason that I've been leaning this way is because I CRAVE the rich, deep low end ..... and want really want a warm, clear tone!

Let me know what you think --- I was thinking maybe just a single SUB --- 12 or 15" ..... but I'm not sure if this would be a waste & hope for some advice!

Thanks again.

kerrinsdad 02-08-2012 09:27 AM

Don't overlook the RCF's!! I am a new owener of a pair of 312s and thnk they're a terrific sounding/ cost effective choice.

RustyAxe 02-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeshack (Post 2927927)
Let me know what you think --- I was thinking maybe just a single SUB --- 12 or 15" ..... but I'm not sure if this would be a waste & hope for some advice! Thanks again.

Subs don't make sense for your application. Most powered speakers on the market will easily render the lowest note your guitar can play, as well as the lowest note you can sing. Subs are for that club sound ... pounding bass and drums and such.

You don't have to spend a lot on speakers, either. A pair of Mackie TH-12A would do you fine, as would a pair of Behringer 212D (I have the 212A and they have performed well). Spend more if you care to, but your audience won't hear or appreciate the extra money you spent. The only issue with these cheaper speakers is that customer service might be dicey, or none existent. But at 1/3 the cost of other speakers, they're still a great value. As a precaution I usually "burn in" my speakers for 24 hours when I get 'em, just like I do with a new computer. Electronic components usually fail in the first few hours of operation, if they make the 24 hour burn they'll likely go a long, long time.

tammuz7000 02-08-2012 12:07 PM

Ev Live 112P...I just got a pair and luv them...The qsc k8 and K10 are excellent as well.

kendallhadden 02-08-2012 12:15 PM

The DXR's like the K's have directional pole mounts that can be changed to make the speaker point a little downwards and also straight out like normal. If you go with a 12in speaker like the DSR112 or DXR12 you definitely won't need a sub for your application. If you go with a 10in, you may want to add a sub at some point but I highly doubt it. I will say that the QSC emphasizes the lower register more so than the others. It's a DSP thing i'm sure. Based on specs the DXR will do the same. The DXR also has a built in mixer like the QSC speakers. I really wish the DSR did. That was one aspect I really liked about the KW122.

Kerrinsdad mentioned the RCF ART line that comes in 10in and 12in. A few of my friends in the industry run these and they say that they are the best bang for the buck you can buy right now. I haven't personally heard them so I won't go any farther than that. I will say that the DXR series is pretty cost effective and don't go by the listed price. Give Sam Ash a call or Sweetwater.

Kendall
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeshack (Post 2927919)
Great Advice ---- I truly appreciate ALL the responses, & now I will start doing some homework.

It sounds like the BOSE & Q's are what everyone is recommending --- I'll make sure to give the Yamaha DXR's & even then Yorkvilles a fair look.

Do most of the models that have been mentioned have 'pole mount' ability ---typically this is the preferred method for me, as I wound't want to spend time stacking speakers, etc.

Thanks again --- and keep any additional advice coming!

I'll keep you posted on what I narrow down my options to & let everyone know the direction I take.

DavidE 02-08-2012 12:15 PM

I've been using the original Bose for years (pretty much since they came out) and I'm still thrilled with it.