The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin 000c-1e (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114433)

TSP 12-23-2007 02:37 PM

Martin 000c-1e

My first time posting here, but I've been more of an electric player for more than 35 years. I'm considering an acoustic in the sub - $1k range and the 000c-1e has caught my eye. I previously owned a Guild GAD-40, but didn't care for the size.

Reading that the 000c-1e has solid mahogany back, but laminated sides, I wonder how much of a difference that will make in the overall sound (as compared to all mahogany)?

I find myself leaning moreso to the feel and sound of Martins lately, but I'd love any other recommendations within this price range, with 000 or 0M body style, including other Martins, Guilds or Taylors.

Thanks for your time and wisdom!

stuartb 12-23-2007 08:46 PM

Welcome to the forum,

I'm not that knowledgeable re martins, but I have watched their prices over the past year or two. Many of the martin guitars you can buy used between $1400 - $1800 - whereas they start out new at almost double that. I would not limit yourself to new within your budget, but continue to save and get whatever one you really want used.

I have never regretted NOT compromising

Stuart

TSP 12-24-2007 01:08 AM

Thanks, I totally agree and I should've stated that I am in fact looking at used guitars. Any other suggestions?

honorprez 12-24-2007 11:20 PM

When I saw this post, I immediately registered for the forum, because I just found myself in a similar situation.

I am 16, and have been playing electric guitar for about 4 years now, and this Christmas, my parents decided to get me an acoustic guitar. I went to guitar center to try out guitars, and after trying 5-6 from low end $200 guitars to $2500 martins, I found this baby. I bought a 000-CX1E and it is the nicest guitar I have ever played. Granted, I am not extremely experienced with acoustic guitars, but I really do love this guitar. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

SteveS 12-25-2007 12:08 AM

The laminate sides are not a big deal and are arguably better than solid sides. I owned one of these and a good friend owns it now.
It is a great guitar for the money. It is a good way to get into the Martin 000 size.

vti814ce 12-25-2007 01:10 AM

Hi TSP, Welcome to the AGF!
If I was looking for a guitar in the 5 hundred dollar range, I would be all over those! Dont worry about the sides, for all anyone knows they may help it! The top and bracing are taken care of, your fine. That Martin sounds nice! They really do. I dont think you can go wrong based on your comments.

Sammy

TSP 12-25-2007 01:55 AM

Thanks for all your positive support, I think I've found a new home here! Now I have to hunt down a "favorite strings" thread .:)